• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Canoe Gun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How effective are the canoe guns for hunting? Say a 20 bore one with a 16-24” barrel?

Do they give up a lot of performance over the full size trade guns? Anyone ever pattern one or hunt one? How is accuracy when loaded with ball?

They look like a handy hoot but I’m just wondering if they’re actually practical outside plinking.

-Smokey

Last edited:
I had one, but it was a 12g. It had a 25.75" barrel. It was a flintlock

It was very handy and worked well for rabbits and close-in vermin.

I never had any luck with squirrels that were several limbs up.

I also had zero luck with roundball. Like unscathed target luck.

BUT, it was a lot of fun to shoot.

A 20g might perform better with the lighter projectile weight.

I have used one for deer. It's 62 cal / 20 gauge. My shots at deer are never over 50 - 60 yards. I use 65 grains of 3 f . Yeah I know your supposed to use 2 f.
Well the deer and coyotes have never complained.
But I'm patient and wait for the broadside shot. Most drop on the spot. Had a couple go about 50 yards.
Just take time to work up a good load.

For shot patterns see if you can look up some of Walt53 's posts in " "smoothbores " forum.. He has really mastered making nice tight groups from his 26" barrel N.W. gun he built from scratch . He gets better groups than my 40" N.W. gun ! Pretty impressive stuff , check it out ....

I have one with a 24" barrel. It is awesome in the late winter ml season where I am sitting in a box blind (not my favorite spot) with heater going for deer. But the shorter barrel is way easier to get out the windows on a deer than a 42" barrel by a lot. It swings faster on rabbits as well. Best of all when walking to and from the woods when dark out and shot isn't legal or possible, I strap it to my hunting bag and I don't have to carry it and freeze my hands off, and its short enough not to snag on everything in woods.

I've had luck hunting small game with my traditions blunderbuss, .54 caliber smoothbore. I have loads for that silly thing that make me pretty effective at 20 yards. 60 grains 3f 777 and ~85 grains of shot. With patched round ball I have tight groups at 30 yards
My 26” barrel shoots just as good as my 36” barrel and like others have said easier took stumble around in the bush with .i have not done a great deal of Round ball shooting yet so someone else has commented on that.

Attachments

• IMG_0297.jpeg
    IMG_0297.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0296.jpeg
    IMG_0296.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
My 26” barrel shoots just as good as my 36” barrel and like others have said easier took stumble around in the bush with .i have not done a great deal of Round ball shooting yet so someone else has commented on that.
Those are fantastic looking patterns. I wonder if it shoots as well with the shorter barrel because there is less speed making the shot deform less.

I don’t know but I can tell this they are both 20 /25 yard guns and the 28 gauge with the 36 “ barrel doesn’t seem to shoot any better than the 24 gauge with the 26” barrel.They both seem to do about the same as far as pattern and distance goes and are both fussy about the powder charge they like .The wads don’t seem to make that big a difference and they both like wasp nest or three o/s cards over the powder ,to easy .

Darn ole Canoe guns !!! LOL ! They are a handy length for brush an such ....good for protectin yer toilet paper stash too !! :D ....easier to find a chunk of wood to make one with too .. Couple times got the piece of walnut for free !

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221214-221420.png
    Screenshot_20221214-221420.png
    461.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230716_121458~2.jpg
    IMG_20230716_121458~2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1686111010783.jpg
    FB_IMG_1686111010783.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 0
How effective are the canoe guns for hunting? Say a 20 bore one with a 16-24” barrel?

Do they give up a lot of performance over the full size trade guns? Anyone ever pattern one or hunt one? How is accuracy when loaded with ball?

They look like a handy hoot but I’m just wondering if they’re actually practical outside plinking.

-Smokey
Everyone knows that canoe guns ain’t made for huntin. They are made for shootin at canoes. How do you think they got the name?

😂🤣

Latest posts

Back