• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

canoe gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Phillips

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Well I tried the "search" with no real results. So, is a canoe gun as versatile as it sounds or would a person be better off with a fowler or smoothy of another flavor. I'm kind of after something in a design that pre-dates my Penn. rifle and would be just an everyday shooter. A no frills farmer/hunter/trapper combo if possible. I looked at some early rustic arms and they look like they would fit into my idea of a working mans food getter.

Actually, what is called a "canoe gun" now is no more useful than a sawed-off shotgun. Fine for defending a stairwell but not much past 30 feet. A longer barrel will be much more useful! :peace:

I went to the Springfield gun show yesterday and saw an actual antique firearm that could be called a canoe gun. It had a bobbed barrel maybe 16" long and was cut off behind the wrist after the point where the stock swells up for the
cheek to rest on. Maybe more of a "blanket gun", it had obviously been altered a very long time ago. It was well used, so much so that I couldn't be certain what it was originally, but it probably was some sort of musket judging from the lock. At close range this would be a fearsome weapon but as a hunting arm it would be useless. I'm still trying to understand what sort of person would have essentially destroyed a powerful and versatile firearm maybe
160 or more years ago to wind up with a gun useful only for killing people at very close range.

If you want a short, fast handling smooth bore for hunting, 30 to 36" would be a better choice. Some states might not even allow a canoe gun to be used for hunting.

I'm still trying to understand what sort of person would have essentially destroyed a powerful and versatile firearm maybe 160 or more years ago to wind up with a gun useful only for killing people at very close range.

A guy who needed a claymore mine to get the he[[ out of dodge. :blah:

I'm still trying to understand what sort of person would have essentially destroyed a powerful and versatile firearm maybe
160 or more years ago to wind up with a gun useful only for killing people at very close range.

I think that in most cases these modifications would have been made to extend the life of a damaged gun. A bent barrel would be useless, but a short barrel would still function. A cracked stock could plit rendering a firearm useless, but cutting the stock down would prevent that from happening. In most cases I think this explanation is plausible; however there are always cases were a small modified gun that you could sneak into a fort or village would be much more useful than the full sized musket or fowler that would have to be left behind (and in these circumstances killing people at close range may have been what was required.). A musket cut down to 24 to 30 inches overall and with a 16 inch barrel would still be more effective than most smoothbore pistols and a musket was probably far more easily aquired.

As mentioned above, a canoe gun was basically a cut off fowler. Go with a trade musket in .62cal, thi9s is more versitle.

As mentioned above, a canoe gun was basically a cut off fowler. Go with a trade musket in .62cal, thi9s is more versitle.

I believe both Jackie Brown Gun Maker if still in BIZ, and NorthStar West offer or make Canoe Gun in Kits, White, or Finished.

They are (Canoe Guns) kind of a NOVELTY ITEM. I would personally buy a Full sized Fowler, or Trade Gun.
:m2c:

or use your "Canoe gun" to hunt buffalo from horseback (runnin' buffler). lots easier to load & fire than a full size fusil.

I think that I will go with a regular sized smoothbore of some sort. Early Rustic Arms maybe? I haven't really decided on a style yet. 1750 to 1770 possibly, a common everyday type with no fancies. Thanks for the info, Brad

Another term for such sawed off rifles or fowlers would be "coach guns" which were carried in buggies and coaches, or wagons, and were very effective against "highwaymen" and others that would attempt to rob coaches, buggies and wagons. (!!!) Facing a sawed off musket or fowler would probably be more discouraging than a pistol, or even a brace of pistols. They were also easy to re-load in such vehicles.

So it does make sense that long guns would be cut down into these types of firearms..."blanket guns" "coach guns" or "canoe guns".

This would actually make more sense to me than making such a gun for a canoe...I've been canoeing most of my life and really a long gun in a canoe is no handicap. But in a buggy, I believe a sawed off fowler or musket would be my choice for a travling companion.

Just a thought.

Rat

I could see the use of a short barreled musket in period times. If you carried your pistol every day for self defense, you would probably keep it loaded with a ball. The same with your musket. If a person or predator was coming out of the dark attacking my camp, waking me, the last thing I would want to worry about is trying to see my sights. A hot load of buckshot would be ideal, and unless you want to keep loading, unloading and reloading your pistol or musket, a sawed off piece for your bedroll would be the ticket. :thumbsup: :imo:

Don't think I'd be comfortable to ever take that for fact.

Oops, make that 30 yards...and I agree entirely. Inside a couple dozen yards life would be tough indeed!! :youcrazy: Gotta learn to proof-read!!! :rolleyes:

I've read these posts and still think that the terms canoe and blanket gun are modern in origin and that while severely shortened guns were to be seen on occasion they wre aberrations.Guns used on coaches for protection against highwaymen were more likely blunderbusses which were the early equivalent of modern riot guns made from sawed off shotguns.I imagine they were pretty effective {as suggested by Cherokee regarding sawed off guns}up to about 30-40 feet with most usage probably occurring within 20 feet.There is, however,illustrated in "The Northwest Gun" by Charles H. Hansen Jr.,P.64 a Leman flintlock trade gun with the butt cut off where the comb meets the wrist and the barrel shortened to somewhere back of the rear entry pipe. Hansen refers to it as an "Indian pistol" but it could have been intended for hunting or combat from horseback.There were a number of 19th century trade guns with barrels in shorter lengths than earlier guns."In 1828 the Astor Company placed the following order was placed with J.Joseph Henry of the Boulton Gunworks,Nazareth,Pennsylvania:
90 Northwest guns 2 feet 6 inch Barrels [30 in.]
30 Northwest guns 2 feet 9 inch Barrels [33 in ]
200 Northwest guns 3 feet 0 inch Barrels [36 in.]
260 Northwest guns 3 feet 6 inch barrels [42 in.]
---
580" Cite taken from PP.23-25,"The Northwest Gun"
A number of these maker shortened barreled guns are shown and perhaps form the basis for modern shortened barrels but they seem to be more common in the 19th century although there were shorter barrels quite early, "A list of standard trade goods published by The Hudson's Bay Company in 1748 included:"Guns,4 foot...3 1/2 foot...3 foot...","The Northwest Gun" PP.12-13.As I said earlier,other than manufacturer shortened barrels, I believe that the severely shortened guns{especially in the 18th century}were aberrations and that the terms canoe and blanket guns are modern fantasy terms designed to enaable modern makers to sell "unique" guns not rooted in fact.Now fire away.
Tom Patton :imo:

Can't find much to fire at Tom. there is just not much in the way of evidence of much in the way of short guns in the 18th century, but lots of coulda, mighta, woulda been a good idea
kind of supporting retoric from modern folks.

Nope Tom sounds perfectly logical to me...or as logical as any other idea/opinion.

I'm still thinking that it would be less expensive perhaps to saw-off an old fowler or musket in some cases than to seek out, find, and buy a blunderbuss. But I have no idea as to how common and available blunderbusses were.

Blanket and Canoe gun are new terms I believe, but "Coach Gun" may have been/seems to have been around for a while. ?? And, of course, Couch gun could be/could have been another term for Blunderbuss...and maybe in some instances sawed off muskets and fowlers may have mistakenly been referred to as "blunderbusses" by writers in the past...!!!

Rat

Back