• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Canoe guns again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That usually does not work well for the reenactor crowd, which was the point I was going for.

Tg, you're right of course. Shortened fuzees whether by mischance or design, would mostly only make sense in current or former HBC or NWCo areas, and probably only carried by First Nations or Metis, and probably the more tacks the later in the 19th century.
Or as Labonte would note, if the tacks have steel shanks, post 1870.
For some galoot in commercial tan gold deer hides to show up at an F&I re-enactment expecting love and love and respect for his tacked-up "canoe gun," well, it ain't happenin'!

I have little interest in the debate over the name as I have no education in such matters. I have studied, built, and used the canoe all my life. Do not underestimate the abilities of folks who grew up in one. Standing to shoot a porpoise would be nothing unusual. Much less demanding than poling up stream. The rear paddler keeps the canoe upright with his paddle technique. The real trick is walking around in one alone! I've seen cree woman walk around in one like they were on a sidewalk while tending nets. Its conjecture on my part but handling a trade gun of normal length would be of little concern to anyone accustomed to a canoe.

Me, I like the canoe gun and may someday add one to my safe and my Prospector canoe.

My canoe is a copy of the Chestnut Prospector. It is built in the wood strip epoxy/fabric style. I gave my sleeker wood canvas to my nephew a few years ago. It was setup as a solo wanderer and less of a handful in a wind than a light loaded Prospector. I'm getting older but have young (8 and 10) adopted daughters from China. This year they shoot and canoe for the first time, gonna be a big year! They really enjoyed watching the Deerstalker hurtle balls at tin cans! A gun that lights with a rock and shoots flame and a cloud of smoke with a true boom, what could be more fun?

For those interested in Canoeing as it would suit guys here look up anything Bill Mason did in book or film. He uses old canoes, canvas Baker/Prospector tents and traditional equipment. His best intro is the film, Waterwalker.

This thread has me thinking trade gun and canoe for next fall, curse you guys kinda1

I have a glass Chestnut, bought it in '74, but now it needs the wood trim replaced. It does go nicely with a Northwest gun.

I'm working on a persona for up east in the middle 1700's. I'm thinking a teamster/wagonmaster with wheelright training. I already have an english styled cutdown fowler built by myself from parts collected on my travels. I call it a "wagon gun". Wonder how long it will be before someone tries to tell me it's not historically correct? :blah: :blah: :blah: :rotf:

smoothbore addict said:
I'm working on a persona for up east in the middle 1700's. I'm thinking a teamster/wagonmaster with wheelright training. I already have an english styled cutdown fowler built by myself from parts collected on my travels. I call it a "wagon gun". Wonder how long it will be before someone tries to tell me it's not historically correct? :blah: :blah: :blah: :rotf:
it's not correct :wink:

That sounds to me like a combination of a parts gun and "coach" gun, probably not very common but I do not think that many would trash it hands down. In the past many would likley have opted for a pistol for such use I would think, though a large bore shoulder gun of any barrel length would offer a very convincing load of shot.

Le Grand said:
I have a glass Chestnut, bought it in '74, but now it needs the wood trim replaced. It does go nicely with a Northwest gun.

I grew up trapping in a canvas Mansfield trappers canoe in upper VT and Quebec.
Spent every spring in high school and collage in the upper Tamagame.
I had a neighbor who I canoed with who had a chestnut, very nice boat.
I no longer race so now I use a Mad river explorer I got CHEEP! I also need to re due the gunnels.
I have seen a few bark canoes I I am interested in now that I am canoe with AMM

DSCF6612-1.jpg

Well, whatever I decide to call it, the 29" barrel is just the right length to ride in a wagon seat, canoe, coach, horse saddle scabbord, or just lay across my knees at the base of a oak tree full of tree rats. Damn handy little things no matter what they started out life as. Mine was picked up as unfinished parts,(lock, shortened barrel, wood) and added to from what I had layin around leftover from purchases of boxes of parts when I was building other guns. I have to imagine that there were a lot of "shade tree gunsmiths" around who could assemble old useable parts into semi-new fully functional guns. I have "Flintlock fowlers" (Grinslade) and it seems a lot of the early fowlers were put together with all used parts except the wood. :idunno:

When I was doing my messing around to build a Cracker Cowboy gun. I found that a 30" barrel was about the upper limit of what I could wedge the but in the stirrup, hold it in place with my thigh and load while mounted.

Latest posts

Back