• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rust protection.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our military stores rifles indefinitely in comoline.

The Chinese military stores rifles indefinitely in fish oil.

Both harden over time so they stay right where you put them. Both keep out all oxygen and water vapor.

Oil that doesn't harden flows and it keeps flowing always. Long term protection requires something that hardens and won't flow off the metal.

Rocket science it is not.

Vasaline is a brand of petroleum jelly, which is paraffin grease.

None of the paraffin products react adversely with BP soot.
I actually use it on the outside of the gun. For some reason, one of the rendezvous held about a hundred miles south of me, is terrible for rusting guns. Even Fluid Film didn't stop it.

For those dealing with cosmoline, you might ask your local cleaners. One of the local ones here even used to have a sign outside, cosmoline on guns steam cleaned, $10.

I've been using 1000plus/bore butter since the day it hit the market and nothing else since the day it came on the market inside and out and not a spot of rust inside or out. It's my only patch lube and after the barrel is clean and still hot I use a lubed patch to wipe it down you can see the lube melting
I to use bore butter, but not as a patch lube(yes it works fine) as the patches tend to smolder and may start a fire in the woods. I prefer a wet patch to prevent a chance of a fire. I also have not observed a patch smoldering when I use bear fat
in my patch lube.

Back