• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Canoe paddle on a shaving horse.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look great. i needed to make a shave horse to work on axe handles great job agion.

Great pics their,Pitchy! That is a great first project off your new shaving horse. You might want to reach up and wring thke neck on that ole Rooster and throw him in a pot of water. Boil him you know to tough for frying! :shocked2: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Just put a 10 miles on the bike and never seen one canoe :cursing: Never one when ya want one. :haha:
Cook the rooster :shocked2: I may replace him with a wooden woodpecker if I get around to carving one. :)

PitchyPine said:
Thanks guys, :) i`m going canoe hunting today. :thumbsup:

Knowing you, you'll have 5 by next week. :hatsoff:

Don't forget that USCG approved/required life jacket. :wink:

:haha: I see I said 10 miles in my last post, :shake: I put 100 miles on looking. I`m going to ride north further next time, should be more canoes that way.
Don`t worry i`ll probably wear two life jackets. :thumbsup:

Thanks buddy, i`m not good enough with wood nor do I have the Patience to build one. :shake:

-----kinda like someone giving you a box of bullits and you buy a gun to shoot them----- :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

paulvallandigham said:
You need to look at a book on Stripper Canoes. You can build those, for sure.

I`ll do a web search about them and see how its done, you guys will have me building a dern boat next. :haha:

Reminds me of the joke about needing a gun to go with your antique bayonet. :haha:

Going to pick up my new Colman canoe this morning, they`er durable and fairly light.
Will take some pics of us canouing in one of our lakes up here and using that new paddle i made.
Recon those pics will have to go in the non muzzleloading forum.

I have made paddles for my children, going back over 20 years now. All the finishes I tried eventually came off. Worse yet, they trap water in the wood, should you scratch or otherwise break the finish. I tried hot beeswax soaked right into the wood,[ it will hold a lot of wax! ] and so far this is the best finish I've ever used. It is in the wood, not on it, and a scratch is not a problem. I can not think of a better way to waterproof a paddle. I use a mixture of beeswax and walnut oil on my longrifles, and am very happy with the results.

Great job pitchy! :thumbsup:
I prefer Spar Varnish myself.
When I was young, I had a few manual propelled (oar driven) boats and my oars were varnished. I feather sanded them every year and gave them a couple of coats.
I also tacked on some copper, rolled around the bottom edge to protect the wood. The oxidized green copper looked good with varnish finish.

As mentioned, some oars/paddles were painted, but I recall seeing varnished pieces at Mystic Seaport here in Ct.

Thanks gents, i`m going to make a wall hanger out of the paddle i made, it`s a little long and heavy for what i need.
Got my new canoe today, a Coleman 15 1/2 footer. Bought two aluminum handled plastic paddles for this canoe. Someday if i run accross a more primitive canoe i`ll make some more paddles, or i might anyway it was fun making that one.
We took the canoe to the lake for a quick spin, 85 degrees and 20 mph wind, not my idea of good canoing. I`m making up a canoe carrier for the reciever hitch on my truck tonight, should work good i`ll post pics of it in the non. ML forum later. :thumbsup:

Back