• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can't get my TC Renegade 56 (smoothbore)sighted in

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoothbore

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I recently pulled my TC Renegade out of the closet (15 yrs) put new fiber optic sights on it and began shooting. I am shooting:

Hornaday .535 round ball
.020 prelubed patch
80 gr Pyrodex RS

It groups nicely at 25 yards. At 50, I'm all over the place. Any thoughts?

I experimented with .550 round balls and .015" prelubed patches in my .56cal SB, and was very surprised at how accurate it was at 50yds.

The patch/ball combo required a firm smack on the short starter to start it but the snug fit probably contributed to it's accuracy, and I wouldn't hesitate to deer hunt with it.

However, I have other ML rifles I use for deer hunting so I never pursued it for deer beyond a range trip to experiment.

.550 balls are made by what was called Warren Muzzleloading in Ozone, Arkansas...they recently changed their name to Ozone Muzzleloading.

My smoothie prefers a tight ball and patch. If those balls have a sprue, (don't think the Hornadys do) try loading them sprue down.

Rat

I could very easily be wrong, but a .535 ball just doesn't seem big enough to me for a 56 cal. I shoot a .535 with .015 patch in my 54 cal. smoothbore. Maybe the fifty yd. distance is giving the ball more time to drift off center?

in my opnion you are asking alot for tight grouping at 50 yards. my TC Renagade 56. smoothie groups great at 40 yards and i thought i was pushing it a little there. 50 sounds like pushing it. i agree that you should try a tighter fit. i also use a bore button over the powder for a better seal. let us know how you make out.
Ken

I could very easily be wrong, but a .535 ball just doesn't seem big enough to me for a 56 cal. I shoot a .535 with .015 patch in my 54 cal.

I had that same thought, using a .54 caliber ball in a .56 bore... :hmm:

If the .535 ball is all you have right at this time, go to a thicker patch, perhaps .025 and see if that helps...

Thank you to those who replied. I actually have the .550 balls as well. It just has been extremely difficult to get the ball even started, let alone in hunting clothes 20 feet off the ground. A read a thread in a forum that recommended the .535 + .020 combo. It actually is still a tight fit.

I guess I presumed that my gun could shoot good at 50 yards. The previous thread does not confirm that. Has anyone had success with the cheak busting TC renegade .56? If so what load of powder do you suggest?

It just has been extremely difficult to get the ball even started, let alone in hunting clothes 20 feet off the ground.

If God had ment us to stay in trees he'd have given us better finger and toenails.

Cheek Busting .56? What are you stuffing in that poor beast? My .54 Renegade is a kitten with 90 gr FFg and a .530 round ball. They're a relatively heavy rifle and absorb a lot of kick. Pull it tightly in to your shoulder with your trigger hand.

Ah . . . and shoot from a sitting position over cross-sticks or offhand more. Benching gives you flinches. :winking:

Eat more cookies this Christmas so your cheeks are thicker.

Thank you to those who replied. I actually have the .550 balls as well. It just has been extremely difficult to get the ball even started, let alone in hunting clothes 20 feet off the ground. A read a thread in a forum that recommended the .535 + .020 combo. It actually is still a tight fit.

I guess I presumed that my gun could shoot good at 50 yards. The previous thread does not confirm that. Has anyone had success with the cheak busting TC renegade .56? If so what load of powder do you suggest?

I found 80grns Pyrodex-RS and 70grns Goex FFFg to be very good at 50yds...also used Oxyoke .58cal wonderwads and .015" prelubed cotton patches...takes a firm, sharp rap on a short starter to get it in but it was respectably accurate and wouldn't hesitate to deer hunt with it, so I assumed a tight fit was what it needed.

As an after thought, I figured since I was using wonderwads anyway, I could afford to drop down to a thinner .010" patch but never pursued it further...I was switching to flintlocks back then and haven't taken time to go back with the percussion .56

I use a .550 ball, a .010 patch, and 85gr FFg Goex powder. That is basically what the manual says so I would start there. I get reasonable groups at 75 yds. The ball fits tightly which it should. The sprue I face forward.

Every ML shoots differently so I am in no way telling you the this is perfect.Start here and work it out till it works for you.

One more thing. The ball should fit tight enough so that when it is pushed into the barrel it is forced out of round.

Good Luck

All right Gents - All of your advice really payed off for me. I am shooting well at 50 yards (5inch groups). The tighter the ball/patch fit, the better the accuracy. I was able to take a nice 2 1/2 year old doe this weekend with the gun (45 yards). Not bad seeing that it hasn't killed a deer since the 70's.

Thank you again

All right Gents - All of your advice really payed off for me. I am shooting well at 50 yards (5inch groups).

Keep working with it next spring and summer and by the next deer season you will be getting groups in the 2 1/2 to 3 inch range at 50 yards...

Back