• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cap/Nipple Woes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE - I bought Remington caps and went back to the range today. I had flawless ignition. The Remington caps are definitely a big bigger - I can feel the difference when setting on with the capper. CCI's ride on the nipple, but I can feel the Remington seat down tight. Problem solved and confidence restored. I guess the name "Half time" won't stick (thank God).

Out of curiosity I slipped a few loads downrange with CCI No. 10 caps after the above. First shot fine. Second shot took two hits again. Definitely the caps!

Thanks for the help, fellas.

UPDATE - I bought Remington caps and went back to the range today. I had flawless ignition. The Remington caps are definitely a big bigger - I can feel the difference when setting on with the capper. CCI's ride on the nipple, but I can feel the Remington seat down tight. Problem solved and confidence restored. I guess the name "Half time" won't stick (thank God).

Out of curiosity I slipped a few loads downrange with CCI No. 10 caps after the above. First shot fine. Second shot took two hits again. Definitely the caps!

Thanks for the help, fellas.

Now I'm confused...if you were trying to use #10's, they should be too tight because they're the wrong (too small) size...#11's are the size that should be used on sidelock percussion rifles
::

roundball - you may have just flushed out the real problem. I had a handfull of CCI No. 11 caps, that another BP shooter had given me. But, as those ran out I bought CCI No. 10's not knowing the difference. :rolleyes: I had forgotton I was out of 11's when I first posted. Since I had just emptied my capper back into the new CCI tin before yesterday's post, I saw there were 10's.

I guess my problem had an easy solution. We learn from our mistakes, so now I'm a cap expert! :crackup:

roundball - you may have just flushed out the real problem. I had a handfull of CCI No. 11 caps, that another BP shooter had given me. But, as those ran out I bought CCI No. 10's not knowing the difference. :rolleyes: I had forgotton I was out of 11's when I first posted. Since I had just emptied my capper back into the new CCI tin before yesterday's post, I saw there were 10's.

I guess my problem had an easy solution. We learn from our mistakes, so now I'm a cap expert! :crackup:
]

I did that once, but my 'puter wouldn't let me admit it. It locked up in the middle of the post. :: :eek:

Good deal...because your original post sure was a puzzler to me...having used TC Hawkens for so many years with CCI #11's and no problems, I was stumped...sounds like you're on top of it now...
:redthumb:

Back