• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Carrying Shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a small bullet bag that a friend made for me. I suppose it carries enough shot for 20 bunnies, this time of the year! That is assuming no missed shots....BIG assumption.

It works for me as I am in no terrible hurry to reload.

I got the hardware and made myself a shot flask like this one.

With no guide for size I made mine about the size of my closed fist. That sucker holds close to 3 pounds of shot! Holy cow. At 1 1/4 oz per charge, that's 38 shots. I fill it halfway now and feel like I'm still overloaded.

I've tried lots of carry methods, ranging from individual charges in plastic film canisters to a drawstring bag with adjustable dipper, and more I can't remember right now.

The shot flask I've linked is absolutely the fastest and most convenient way I've tried. Long term I may build a shot snake and attach it to the strap on a bag something like this. That looks like it might be the most convenient of all. But my "snake" might better qualify as a night crawler.

In all my years hunting snowshoe hare, ptarmigan and ducks with a double 12, I don't remember ever taking 20 shots. And my best (or worst) day of duck hunting required 13 shots for a limit of 7. I'm thinking a pound of shot will be about right, and if I need more than that I'm either having too much fun or shooting so poorly I should just go home.

I carry five pre-measured shot/powder charges in plastic film cannisters taped back to back.Not traditionalbut it works. I have never shot off all five in a days hunting rabbits.

I hunt with a T/C New Englander 12g single shot and you may wish to carry more if you are shooting a S/S.

I also carry some back up shot in a small plastic medicine bottle, enough for another five shots or so

Because I´m a lazy man, I use homemade speedloaders made from 12gauge plastictubes. One end is closed by a wooden plug. Then i fill 70grain wanoPP, 4 soft cardboard wads, 1oz shot in a strong paper schotcup and close it with 2 cardboard wads.
Charging is verry simpel: Pull the plug and pour the powder in the muzzle, then set the tube centered on the muzzle and whack the rest whith a 12gauge starting wood into it. Push it down with the rod.
That´s all.

Double shot snake with Irish chargers for my SxS 12 ga. caplock. Usually one with #4 and one with #6.

Shot horn with a measure scoop in the plug for my 14 bore fowler if I'm just playing around and stump-shooting. Small single snake with a wooden plug if I'm hunting, or just some in a small bag. Sometimes I carry buckshot in a bag too, but that's usually just for stump shooting and experimenting.

I use a shot flask as Brownbear does. I have tried everything as well and found for me, this worked the best. I get consistant shot dumps and with a little work you can taylor the spout to drop the exact amount of shot you want. I went to a hobby store and bought some brass tubing that was a snug fit to the inside of the spout. I then trimmed the length to fit between the 2 "gates" that are on the flask spout. The sleeve cannot fall out and I can adjust the flask to dump the amount of shot I want. I have several flasks that I have "tuned" to the guns I use them in, 7/8oz, 1oz, and 1 1/8oz. Since my most common shooting is on doves, I carry about 4lb. of 7 1/2's. Though if turkey hunting I only carry about 4 guick type of tubes to reload the 6's I use at 1 1/8oz.

DSCN1907_01.jpg

Pellet Packers

About 4 inches long, holds everything for one shot. Great for turkey hunting. I usually carry 2 or 3 extra in my pocket as reloads. Carry so much other stuff I try to minimize what I can. Will hold up to 150 gr of powder and 2 oz of shot. The center will hold just about any wad column up to a shot cup designed for a 3” shell.

I have a double shot snake that I use upland hunting, one side filled with #6 ITX shot the other with powder. and the wads go in the pouch provided it all holds about 20 shots.

For waterfowl, I have speed loaders usually carry 15 to 25 of them.

sharp shooter I made this up quick and it works fine holds a pound and a half no. 6 shot...I like stumpy's measure/stopper idea...

DSC03457.jpg

Long as we're showin and tellin, I loaded a couple of shots up to photobucket and attached them here.

If and when I make a smaller flask, I'm going to put only one grommet on it, and it will be at the end so I can hang it off a bag strap when I want.

The other contraption is my way of handling wads and cards, all leather with a brass button to close the flap. As you can see in the second, I keep my nicked cards in that little side pocket and the wads in the main pocket. It's about the size of a deck of cards, and half full it holds a couple of dozen 11 gauge wads. It could easily be half its present size, but I'm too clumsy for anything smaller.

flask7.jpg

flask8.jpg

I use one similar to BrownBears only it is made fro rawhide formed with sand with a wood stopper, I pour into an antler measure which is poured to the top of the measure,the powder is poured to a mark below as needed by the particular, gun the measure has a thin side(oblongish opening at the top) to allow shot to roll into the bore easier.

When I'm hunting something that I may shoot a lot..like squirrel I put my shot in this flat horn I made.
twosquirrels.jpg

Turkey hunting I make up a few quick loads.

I HATE all you talented guys who can sew leather, carve wood, antler, probably marble,too! Anyway, for those using one, which is a better charger - Irish or English? This all exempts Stumpy's absolutely cool drilled out antler that just happens to hold the exact amount of shot and hey! whaddya know, also serves as a stopper for the leather shot pouch he made - the coolest rig I've seen (without, of course, discussing the flattened horn and several leather shot bags made by guys whose names I've forgotten getting so worked up over Stumpy)

Marc Adamchek said:
I HATE all you talented guys who can sew leather, carve wood, antler, probably marble,too!...

Just for the record... don't include me in that! (My shot pouches were made by a friend of mine, Orville "Spark" Mumma.)

Back