• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

carving tools

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnN

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I would like to start learning how to do some basic carving. Who makes half way decent tools for this ? Track sells Solingen. I have a couple of them and they seem ok.

I would check out Woodcraft, Lee Valley, or Lie-Nielsen. Woodcraft carry's Pfeil and Flexcut. Lee Valley carry's a bunch of brands. How any of them compare to the Solingen ones I don't know, but a lot of folks like the Pfeil, Flexcut, and the Henry Taylor tools.

I really like the Flexcut tools.

They aren't that expensive and they hold their edge nicely.

Besides, you got to love a company that supplies a couple of bandages in the box with the chisels. :rotf:

The ergonomics of the push handles of the Pfeil tools fit my hand better and give me better control than the Flex Cut. I find myself using the small tools MUCH more than the larger ones. And the Pfeils seem to come in a wider variety of sizes, especially on the smaller end, and those get the majority of the use. It's easier to control your cut by taking 3-4 passes than it is to take 1 big one you drive with a mallet. But for the bigger job of stock profiling the mallet driven tools have their place. That said, I still use a rasp more for that, as, it is less likely to induce a grain split or tear-out.

What ever you do, learning how to sharpen your tools is one of the most important elements of good carving. So I use a leather strop a lot.

The good Colonel is correct. Go to Harbor Freight, get an inexpensive set of carving tools, and learn to sharpen them. Making a mistake on a bevel will hurt less on a tool that cost less than a car battery. And if they hold an edge well, which sometimes happens with HF tools, you saved a ton of money.

I like the Flexcut tools. I find they hold a edge very well & fit my hand well & my hand doesn't get sore from the handles. You will need about 5 dif ones. You will need to make 3-4-5 lil scraper tools from drill stock & make handles.

One thing...... Buy the lil honing pad & rouge for the flexcut tools. It makes the dif. in how clean your cuts will be. Also keep you tools in a box & nothing else lays in that box but those tools. You will find the edges don't get damaged, hit, chipped, nicked, etc.

Keith Lisle

Back