• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Caywood buyers beware

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I hope this is the right place to post this.
I have been a viewer and a member for about a year or so.It was on this site I learned of Caywood gunmakers. Some pro some[url] con.In[/url] the spring I ordered a 12ga percussion from Caywood. The gun shot beautiful. The finish was less than perfect.The sanding was done across the grain leaving sand paper lines in the finish. The lock was a flintlock of which they cut off the pan, filled the holes with screws and soldered them in.
At the beginning of Aug. I called caywood, or should I say quality locks, spoke with owner Mike Rowe. I told him of my issue with the lock. Mike went on to tell me that when my gun was built there were no percussion locks so he converted a flintlock to the percussion, that it was more authentic that way. I told him I did not like the way it looked and that nobody told me that this was being done. Mike told me to send the lock back around the 22nd of Aug because he was getting new locks in from the foundry and they would not be drilled and he would replace mine.I sent the lock back as directed and recieved my new lock on Sept 19. Guess what... same lock holes filled a bit better and a new grind mark in the side of the lock. I sent Danny Caywood a letter explaining my situation. Danny called me and went on to tell me I did not know a thing about locks. I tried to address my dislike with the look of the lock but all he did was talk over me and tell me how much extra time there was involved in making the percussion barrel, not even addressing the lock. I finally was able to stop him from talking and told him what Rowe had said. All Danny could say to me was, too bad, I don't have time for this conversation, I have guns to make. I told him I was the customer and I was very unhappy , that if the gun was going to be a conversion, cutting the pan off the lock, I should have been told and it should be on his web site. He said to me , You know the old saying the customer is always right? Well not in the case, the gun is right, all the while yelling into the phone.He said I am doing nothing for you. I could not believe it.I paid over 1,700.00 for this gun and that is the customer service I got.I spent the better part of an hr on the phone with Danny when I ordered the gun when he wanted my money. I told him I would warn people about him and his company any where I could. His response to me was..If you want to bad mouth me go ahead and be the ASS that you are.
He then hung up on me. The guarantee is life time? Ha!I guess it takes a real tuff guy to call his customer an ASS from 1,000 miles away. CAYWOOD BUYERS BEWARE !!!!!! ps you should hear his message he left for me on my phone prior to this post. The only sparks that fly are from Danny Cawood.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear friend, thank you for the warning,I have considered a purchase from Caywood but until his customer service improves I will decline to offer him my business.May I suggest you call him back giving him this website address.If he sees how many potential customers you can speak w/ it may change his tune,perhaps.Best regards,J.A.

I think I met DC half way up a mountain in Arkansas once, or was it some other gunmaker, not sure, think it was him.

He seemed polite enough, but maybe that's because we were both carrying large guns at the time :crackup:

By all means, Direct him to this site. Directing him to this thread does two things, it shows him that costomers do matter, and it gives him a rebuttal opportunity.
I sensed the personality you speak from the Caywood website; from what I read; DC seems convinced of his own Genius. However, Given your statement, if it's true, I'd rather buy a CVA than a Caywood. Quality aside, product support is #1 for me. I figure if a man gives me his word he'll stand behind his product, then renigs. . . well, a man is only as good as his word.
Understand, I'm biased against Caywood. I don't trust his absolutist statements. Heck, I've refused to buy guns becaause they were Caywoods.

It's too bad that the current situation seems so highly unlikely to be amicably resolved. Your desciption speaks volumes.... :thanks:

fat man i have never delt with DC but from reading on his web site he seams verry shure of himself as for yelling at you over the phone i dont think he showed you aney respect and if it where me i would shove that gun up his a-- after i kicked it aney body can talk down to someone 1000 miles away but usaly have outher thoughts in person you are doing the right thing warning every one i had a runin with the infamos Jackie Brown but that story for lator dont take any bs from caywood

Thank you...I just come off a site looking at the Caywood and thinking and dreaming and counting out the cookiejar. Well that's over. I've run into the same with a custom Long Bow maker, Jefferies Archery , in Columbia, S.C. The fireworks happened ....well, about 5 years ago...same story...lifetime warranty...the whole show just like you are seeing. Glad it wasn't about 1700$ but you know after a point..it ain't even about the money. All I got to hear about a story like this is your side....makes me shake my head in disgust and I ain't buying what he's selling, I can assure you. Thanks again for sharing! adios

To be really fair about it, invite Danny to this forum to give his side of it. I have seen a few of his guns and they were very nicely done. I did not study them at length, but what I saw was above average for a semi-custom gun. You may have caught him at a very trying time. That is really no excuse for his attitude, but most everyone will have days that they may say or do things they regret later, or wish they had handled in different way. In my opinion he should have called back and apologized if all you say is true, but it may benefit all concerned, to give him the opportunity to explain his actions.

Wick has a good idea. When I did Civil War Living History I had a very vocal argument with a Civil War vendor. The next day I sent a FAX and put down that I wanted to work things out. I never admitted I was wrong, I just put that I wanted to work things out. The next day I got a call from the vendor and she stated she would refund my money. She stated she did not want to loose my business.

This is worth a try. I looked for an e-mail on his site and I could not find one. I was going to link him to this post.

:results:

Thats to bad, i had only heard good things about Danny's guns and was thinking about a trade rifle from him in the future. guess i'll do a little more investigating! you might want to try and get your money back, then give Matt at T.V.M. a call. please keep us posted as to farther developments with this. i hope Danny would get on this site and maybe clear things up and resolve them, could really huet his bussiness as i know many people check in here now and then.
Ken

Remember, there are 2 sides to any story. We only heard one. I would hate to be declared Judge and jury.

I was considering buying a Caywood/Quality lock. That plan is under "reconsideration!"

Dave you are absolutely right, and that's a very reasonable statement. Caywood definately deserves to have his side of the story heard; Unfortunatly, I don't seen him logging in to counter these accusations. There's a rule in argument that goes someething like, once you start defending yourself; you've already lost. I figure, from the tone of Caywood's website, he's not going to enter a private forum to undo the damage already caused by the posts already on this thread.
As we've all heard, "a Soft answer turneth away rath" perhaps if he, or Fatman, would've offered a "soft ansawer" then this could've been avoided. Perhaps it's not too late to reconcile.
For me however, I don't need much excuse to criticize Caywood, I've seen enough of his work to know I'll never buy one, and I don't care for his blusterings on his website, but I agree he still deserves his rebuttal and I hope Fatman gets his satisfaction.

I am not disputing what Fatman sez. .But this is a time to mention how one person on the internet can influence many people. Some guy makes the perfect BP gun cleaner, made from stuff under the kitchen sink, blows on some gun board, and hundreds of guys mix some up same gorp and say it works good. One guy, you don't even know, says something bad about a product or service, and we all believe it as gospel, and never deal with them, ever??. I never worked in customer service, but I had two sons who did, and the stories they told.... :curse: I could never run a business, I would kill. :applause: Again, fatman, this has nothing to do with your specific problem.

For what it's worth I have had only one experience with a Caywood and it wasn't good so I guess that is 100% bad. The story goes like this; A friend of mine who has since passed away showed up at a shoot with a Caywood. The gun looked great BUT- No Spark!! Sharp flint, good prime, clean touch hole etc, etc... The owner stated that he had sent it back for warranty work a few times without satisfaction. The lock never did spark for him on that day or any other according to him. Don't know what ever came of the gun after his passing but that put me off Caywoods from that time on. squint

FM,

I am puzzled as I do not see any mention of a percussion gun on the DC site. I looked to see if there was a representation as to what was available and saw no percussion options. Do they offer them or was this a special request situation?

How did he address the scratches in the stock finish?

I had considered a Caywood in the past, but...

CS

It is a case of "here we go again". Owner of gun, now passed on, says he had trouble with service. We know all about the problem, but we don't know what became of the gun. It didn't have spark, builders fault? Maker of lock fault? I am not taking sides here, but please STOP :sorry: IT! Unless I read both sides of the story, all I read is a guy who may have trouble with people skills.(and I will not get into who it is!) We have all heard of the $100 Corvette that a Dr. died in and we KNOW it is true because it came from my neighbors, brothers, cousins, buddy who lives 400 miles away, and he heard it from the sister of the brother to the Dr. who was at the funeral!This is becoming the same story with different toys involved. We have a owner who had a problem,--- that happens. But, I don't want to read about the story of a second hand tale, that can't be verified. In the mean time, someone is being injured by accusations that he has not been able to defend. Just maybe he has not come forward, because he doesn't want to throw stones? Doesn't know it is on this web site. Have you ever been in buisness and realized that no matter what you do, some people refuse to be happy? I know nothing about Caywood or his guns, other than I have read in the past, from happy owners being happy with their purchase. Again :sorry:

Dave, again, I must tip my hat to ya. :hatsoff:
You're taking the high road.
I'll admit it, I don't like Caywood, and my animosity does not allow me impartiality. I shouldn't have chimed in; it didn't help.
(but it felt good! :redface:)

Back