• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CCI Percussion Caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WI Smoke

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm new to Muzzleloading as of Christmas and was wondering if CCI caps are any good? One of my buddy's said they are junk. But they are cheap and available.Thanks in advance.

Rebel said:
CCI magnum #11's are all i use. Haven't had any problems with them, and i have used thousands of them.
Ditto on what Rebel said.Your Buddy is Wrong.

Agree with Halftail here - nothing wrong with CCI's that I have every found. I would submit to you that your buddy's problem more than likely stems from the fact that that he had the wrong size cap (too small) and was getting mis-fires because of it.

I have had misfires with CCI caps, and a lot of them. I use them strictly for target shooting now. On the other hand, the CCI magnums are the best, have never had a misfire using them and I have used hundreds of them. I wouldnt use Remingtons, put them in the same catagory as the standard CCI caps. A lot of folks like the RWS caps but I have never been able to acquire them to test.

WI Smoke said:
I'm new to Muzzleloading as of Christmas and was wondering if CCI caps are any good? One of my buddy's said they are junk. But they are cheap and available.Thanks in advance.

I switched from regular CCI #11's to CCI #11 Magnums when they came out back in the 90's and they've always been outstanding for me.

PS: It's hard to discuss caps without thinking of ignition in general, and I would also suggest this...if you don't already use real BP, try a can of Goex 3F...you'll think you've died and gone to heaven...super fast ignition, clean, and accurate.

Thanks for your answers. I just bought some 3f 777, a few replacement Red Hot Nipples (6-.75)
and some Vonder something or another German caps.
They may be RWS. I dont expect any problems with my GPR not going off now.

I have tried three cap manufacturers that I can obtain and CCI is the best in my opinion. One thing I noticed is when I snap off several caps before I load for first time to clear out any excess oil.... is that the CCI magnum caps are louder than Remington or the german brand, as I was using my Remington caps just for that purpose only and when I ran out and used first CCI cap it really hurt my ears. I do this in my loading room and you notice the sound a lot more than outside.... and I now put on the hearing protection when I snap a CCI cap indoors. If anyone has these two brands go ahead and try it and you will see what I mean. As far as the musket size caps which I use on 4 of the 5 rifles I shoot....CCI has the advantage there too and I like the flared caps to handle as far as loading and taking off of nipples.
Jim in Idaho

To each thier own on this I guess. Maybe a lot also depends on the humidity where you shoot. All I can say is I've probably gone through 300 caps since I bought my renegade and all have been CCI #11. Not the magnum..just the regular. If I do my part in having a clean and dry barrel from the get go I never have a problem, incidentally I use Goex ffg. The one thing I would recommend though is using a T/C hot shot nipple. I normally fire about 25 to 30 shots at our club shoots and never had to pick the nipple either.

roundball said:
[PS: It's hard to discuss caps without thinking of ignition in general

This is an excellent point. Besides the fact that some subs need more fire to ignite reliably, there could also be some mechanical problems hindering ignition, such as some buildup or corrosion in the flash channel. If the cap goes off and the powder doesn't, a hotter cap may get you by but I would be looking for an answer besides the cap.

FWIW, I have never had any problems with either regular CCI or CCI Magnum caps.

I've never had a problem with CCI caps. Tried a few others but have always come back.

Hey Smoke, Not only are you going to be fine with the CCI caps the FFF Triple Se7en is an exellent powder just remember to reduce loads by 10-15% over regular bp or Pyrodex. The FFF lights off as good as real bp.

I've used a couple thousand CCI 11 caps, never had one not fire. Tried a few CCI 11 magnums through my chronograph, did not find anything to recommend them, but I only used 30 or 40. Cannot say they are not good, just that the standard cap works very well for my rifles. If one uses Pyrodex or Triple 7, a "Hot Shot" or "Spitfire" type nipple is very important, in my experience.

Yup. Same here. I use the #11 CCI Magnums to light off Triple 7 in my .54 GPR. No misfires that weren't self-inflicted.

I have used nothing but CCI # 11 standard for the last
10 yrs. or so. Don't recall ever having one not fire. Have never seen a need for a magnum cap.
I only use Goex 2 and 3 F.

I have used CCI, Remington, and the German caps and have never had a misfire because of the cap. I do use the stainless traditions nipples also.

CCI Rimfires, CCI centerfire primers and CCI percussion caps are considerably thicker than remingtons I know this because I have reduced the thickness of remingtons and CCIs to get relible ignition with the shot barrel of LeMats and the junk Lincoln derringer kit from Dixie.

The CCIs are a tighter fit than remingtons with the Number 11 cci being much like the #10 remington. CCI primers and caps are very reliable if they get hit hard enough by hammer, firing pin, etc. My Uberti 61 navy and 58 remington have strong hammer springs and set them off reliably. My 60 army has a light mainspring and is reliable with remington and old cvas but NOT with CCI

Latest posts

Back