• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ceramic pots

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
George said:
I agree with Fred, cooking in clay doesn't add any special flavor.

On that we disagree....
Taste is highly subjective..
Many, if not most nuances are undetectable or simply go unnoticed by the average person.

Nuances or not, I always know what tastes good even if I don't know why. :grin:

Umami.

Spence

It can add so much more than just flavor.

It could be a pot you made yourself.

The evenness or subtleness of the heat can create an entirely different product than a pot made of a different material.

A tin pot, an aluminum pot, a cast iron pot, stainless steel pot, a Pyrex pot and a clay pot all cook differently. ....This equates to flavor.

It's also likely one of the reasons we have cookware made from different materials.

We use different materials for many reasons....

Colorado Clyde said:
A tin pot, an aluminum pot, a cast iron pot, stainless steel pot, a Pyrex pot and a clay pot all cook differently. ....This equates to flavor.
You may be right, but in a double-blind taste test I'd bet against your ability to tell which was which. And then I'd retire.

No, wait.... :wink:

Spence

A triangle test might be more appropriate....But, either way, I'm not for eliminating the variables necessarily....They add to the experience.

Lipton tea would undoubtedly taste fantastic if it were part of a Chanoyu ceremony. :wink:

I find little difference in Pyrex over crockpot, and I don’t notice a difference between non stick coating and stainless steel. I can tell clay cooked baked beans from cast iron real quick. And cast iron from crock pot real quick. If I can meat or stew I notice it right off also.
I’ve only used my tin and tinned copper over a fire so I might be getting smoke in only, but I used to carry cast iron to camp and now I don’t and I do notice.
I make a corn beef hash in a deep iron skillet. My daughter was living in North Carolina and she asked me to cook it there, she was disappointed with it. The next year she came to our house and I cooked it there, in my iron. She commented on how that taste right. She bought iron after that.

Colorado Clyde said:
Lipton tea would undoubtedly taste fantastic if it were part of a Chanoyu ceremony. :wink:
It's nowhere near thick enough, even the special...ceramic...tea bowls couldn't fix that. :grin:

Spence

George said:
Ceramic pots work great for baked beans, as most would agree, but they aren't required. I saw this molded into the bottom of an old cast iron Dutch oven:

"Baked Beans

1 table spoon mustard
2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup syrup
1/2 cup sugar
2 lbs beans
1 lb pork
4 onions"

Spence

I think the Lord of the Thread has forbidden posting bean recipes. Except his own. He's got a bean recipe posted elsewhere.

Latest posts

Back