• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chambers Kit - Best One For Beginner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt. Jas.

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Of the chambers kits available, which one would be best suited (easiest) as a first time gun?

Just wondering about things like if a certain buttplate, trigger guard and other hardware would be easier, whether there is a difficulty difference in working octagon swamped vs. octagon to round, certain stock profiles being more difficult to work with, etc.

I have seen the dvd chambers offers for sale on what's involved in building the kit.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom on this,
Jim

probably the smooth rifle, but there would still be a lot of work to do. Chamber's kits are not for beginners.

SP

I've built them all....several times. I think probably the Lancaster or York may be the best for your fist time. As stated above, these things just don't "snap" together. Even tho most of the parts are partially inlet there are alot of skills needed to get the whole thing put together.

If not aware, the so called kits from Chambers and others, are actually more a collection of components. There will be considerable precision work involved.

Thanks for the replies. I dont know of any other "kits" available that have the level of authenticity and quality of parts.
Are there any others out there that come more complete?

I feel I can build the Chambers kit to a shootable state and can finish the wood and metal OK but I know it cant be the quality of someone like Mike Brooks and others. I am just not aware of any others out there.

I appreciate any other kit sources you may know of that compare to Chambers.

Jim

Skipper, there are builders out there who will help you put together a set of parts and coach you through the building process. Thats how I did my first rifle...no, its not a Mike Brooks beauty, but its got good architecture, shoots straight impresses inline and suppository shooters and "I made it" Next one, a fowler, will be better.

No matter what, I recommend Chambers DVD on building a Kit if you don't have someone who can come over or who you can watch do something before you do..

Curt Lyles [email protected]
(574)825-9853

Helped me do it. He has a kit/collection of parts for an early Southern Rifle (based on expert supposition)
and/or you can mix and match the parts you want. He will advise you well. About the same price as a Chambers kit but not quite as much inletting done etc. which allows you to tailor it a little more to your desires. That is whats fun about building a gun that there is no original to copy.. although that can be fun ...

The forums like this one especially will help you a lot.. See Mike's thread on building a rifle... This is invaluable help ..and with patience you will be able to do it..

Good Luck

Check out Cabin Creek (Brad Emig) my York county rifle kit was from him dovetails were cut for sites and under lugs, barrel breached and flash hole drilled and installed,some inleting done barrel, ramrod,lock,trigger. Butt plate is cut in but needs final fitting worth while checking into .[url] http://www.cabincreek.net[/url]/

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm doing a Chambers York as my first ever build. It's taking me an absurdly long time, but I'm having fun and learning lots on the way. I fully endorse all the points made above about the time and skills involved, but what you don't know already you can learn on the way - the DVD, the key building books and this forum have been crucial. IMO, there's not likely to be much to choose in terms of skill level between the Chambers 'kits' - they'll all involve quite a lot of work. I'm very pleased with the quality of mine and am planning to do another, probably a fowler.

Why not call and talk to Jim himself He should be able to help you make a decision. He is teaching a rifle building class at Western Kentucky University in Bowling Green, Kentucky in June of 2006. The complete infomation is below.

NMLRA Gunsmithing Workshop and Seminar 2006:
Class Descriptions and Registration

Thanks to the support of Dr. Terry Leeper, the NMLRA Gunsmithing Workshop and Seminar will again be held at Western Kentucky University in Bowling Green, Kentucky in June of 2006.
The length of these hands-on classes will be three, six or nine days. The three-day class will begin at 1 p.m. on Wednesday May 31st. end at noon on Saturday June 3rd. The six-day classes will begin at 7 a.m. Sunday, June 4th. and end on Friday, June 9th. The nine-day classes will begin at 1 p.m. on Wednesday, May 31st. and end on Friday, June 9th. (This is the day before the National Shoot begins at Friendship.)
Pre-registration will determine which of the proposed courses listed below will be presented. For a session to be held it must have a minimum number of participants registered and with their deposits paid by the March 10th deadline. This early deadline is essential in allowing time to order materials and parts. Register early. (See registration information at the end of this article.)
2006 will be the twenty-fifth year for this NMLRA Seminar and a special commemoration T-shirt and lapel pin are being designed.

The Courses:

English Sporting Rifle ”” Jim Chambers
(9-day class, $900 plus materials)
New for 2006””Students in this class will start with an English walnut stock blank that has had the swamped barrel inlet and the ramrod hole drilled. Following the design of a mid-eighteenth century rifle by William Turvey students will fit the butt piece, shape the stock, inlet the lock, sideplate, ramrod pipes, and guard. Basic gun making skills such as filing, rasping and inletting will be helpful in making maximum progress in this class. A finished rifle will be available for reference.
Materials fee: $700.

REGISTRATION INFORMATION
You may begin to register immediately upon receipt of this notice. Do not delay! We ask for a first, second, and third choice but we have, in past years, been able to place over half the students in their first choice. Telephone, fax or mail your registration to Brenda Field in the NMLRA offices in Friendship. Call at 800-745-1493 Ext 223. Fax at 812-667-5137. Mail to P.O. Box 67 Friendship, IN 47021.
Registration for classes will be on a first-come first-served basis except for John and Hershel House’s class on stocking southern iron mounted rifles. Due to that class’s popularity, all who select that class as their first choice by February 10th will be entered in a drawing for spot in the class. That drawing will take place on February 13th and the lottery winners will learn of their good luck the next week. Folks not selected in the drawing for this class will remain on the class lists for their second and third choices based on the date and time of their registration. Registration for the other classes closes on Friday, March 10th and final class rosters will be mailed to the instructors and students the following week.
One-half of the registration fee is due as a deposit at the time of registration and not later than March 10, 2006. Remember that your registration is not official until your deposit is received (credit cards may be used by telephone). Your deposit will be refunded if the classes you picked do not fill or are already full.
The remainder of the registration fee is due by Friday, April 28th. Students who cancel after that date will forfeit their registration fee. Materials fees will be billed separately or collected by the instructor at the seminar.

Lodging & Dining
The Red Roof Inn (formerly Scottish Inn) on Scottsville Road, near exit 22, will be our primary motel and they will be holding a block of rooms. Call for a reservation. (270-781-6550). There are also some campgrounds in the area.
On campus dining is limited but Bowling Green has restaurants for every taste and budget. Inquire about microwaves and refrigerators when you make you room reservation as well.

Picnic and Shoot
Weather permitting, there will be a picnic, and very informal shoot, at Dr. Leeper’s farm late in the afternoon of Saturday, June 3rd. Targets will be metal gongs at unknown ranges in a pasture field. Flintlock and percussion rifles and pistols only. Strict safety rules are enforced. Directions to the farm will be at the desk of the hotel. The cost of the barbeque is included in student registration. Any spouses or guests will be approximately $12 each.

Class Schedule
Except for the first Wednesday, we start classes at 7 a.m. so we can get parked before most of the college students arrive. We often work a ten-hour day ”” taking a break for lunch and ending class around 6 p.m. Most folks agreed that ten hours a day is enough time at the bench, but those who want more shop time can work through the lunch break or stay late. Individual instructors may alter this schedule after the first day.

Latest posts

Back