• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Charcoal Bluing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dobson

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi everybody, anyone know how to charcoal blue a barrel? Would you, like to share the detail?
Regards to all particularly Paul V (the accuracy did come right)
Bye for now
Dobson

There is a good article on Charcoal bluing in Volume 5 of the Journal Of Historical Armsmaking Technology. It is based on the process developed by the Colonial Williamsburg Gun Shop in the 1980s.

Gary

Thanks Gary, i have been and printed the page and am now close to bluing stage. I think i will have a go on some scrap steel bar then go for it. Thanks again
Regards
Dobson

Please let us know how it turns out, I was very interested in Charcoal Blueing until I was faced with putting a Custom 240.00 dollar Getz Barrel in a fire, I just couldn't do it. I was told I could get the same or close effect by using Beachwood Casey's Brass Black.
Claude

It will be a wee while before it goes in the fire a couple of weeks maybe.
I will keep you posted.
Regards
Chris

I've been playing around with it on a small scale with one of the Neycraft electric furnaces from Brownells. Basically the procedure that I use is as follows:

Start with a highly polished item of steel, I typically finish it to 600 grit by hand and make sure the sanding scratches are running in the same direction. Haven't tried buffing, since I don't like the things.

The part can be degreased, though I can't say I have been able to tell much difference between the parts that were and the ones that weren't. I bury them in finely ground, hardwood charcoal in a steel pipe where I have one end welded shut, the other end sits on a steel plate carrier and I place extra charcoal around the edge to help seal it. I have tried homemade hardwood charcoal, and I have tried the stuff you buy from Brownells for color case hardening, long story short, use the Brownells charcoal and you can expect consistant results, use the other stuff and your mileage may vary. This is actually the same situation I have encountered when color case hardening, but that is another story. I make sure that the part is centered in the crucibal and not touching the sides. The whole works goes into the furnace at about 900 degrees for half an hour, I than shut the furnace down, let the part cool slowly to 150 to 200 degrees and take it out, and than place it back into the charcoal again, and fire the furnace back up to 900 degrees and let it sit for another half hour, follow this by a cool down cycle, take it out when warm, and than coat it in heavy oil (I use motor oil) and let it sit overnight. The reason for the cool down and reheat cycle is to move the part in the pack to ensure an even exposure. This helps to even out the color. Some people look for a splotchy color of varying hues of blue, I personally think this looks like manure, I want the part to be a deep, rich, wet ink type blue. Unfortunately, it ends up looking very close to a modern hot dip blue when done as I've described, the unknowledgable folks would think that is what you have. It takes a trained eye to detect the subtle difference of the two processes. That is all I can say, obviouslly to do a 42" barrel you would need to adapt the procedure, I wouldn't want to try it in a fire pit, If I was going to do it on anything larger than a pistol or pistol barrel, I would build a large electric furnace capable of holding a 50" cruicibal in. Hope this helps.

Alex Johnson

Latest posts

Back