• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cheap weather cover for Flintlock lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnm4688

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am deer hunting in Pa. Today there was light snow and I used a sheet of aluminum foil to keep my TC Firestorm lock dry. It worked but was a bit flimsy. Any suggestions on how to keep a lock dry while hunting?
Thanks!
John M. in Pa.

Get a big old wool hunting sock and cut out the toe. Throw the toe part away and slide the rest of the wool sock over the buttstock and over the lock. When getting ready to fire the gun pull the sock back. Saturate sock with silicone if you want, but do this in advance of a hunt to let the carrier in the silicone evaporate good to keep down the smell.

Bob

You could make a cow's knee. I use one on both my perc and flintlock rifles during bad weather. Mine is soaked with neetsfoot oil and made from deerskin. I used Mark Bakers pattern from his book "A Pilgrims Journey" Very easy to make and works!

Cheap is seldom good.
This will work in any weather.
P1010078.jpg

Top grain cow hide, sew so the hair side in IN. Treat with Snow Seal. Will come off very easily and the rifle is as water proof as its going to be.
Try leaning your cow's knee protected rifle against a tree in a rain or wet snow for any length of time.
Keeps snow/water out of the muzzle. Keeps snow from blocking the sights.
Doubles as a transport case. I have 3-4 of them of varying lengths.
Huntinginsnow.jpg

Will last for decades.
Yes they are period correct back to at least the Rev-War.

Dan

That's a damn good idea Dan! I have to make one of those. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ya think moose hide might do a fair to midlan version of this? I ask cuz it's the one type of leather I have in profusion.

Hmmm...I'm not sure it would. However, if you send me some moose hide, I'll be happy to construct one and test it out for you (tongue firmly planted in cheek). Might make some pucker-toe moccasins with the remnants too!

Twisted_1in66 :hatsoff:

lol, I may have to just send you my notes :grin: :rotf:
but I do promise to post pix in the craft section when I'm done.

I use an old auto chamois leather that has been waxed. A full cover is better but the local whitetail may give you 5 seconds to see, act or watch them wave bye-bye. A waxed cows knee can be off in a second for a three-second shot.

HPIM0381.jpg

:redface: to be blunt, I had never heard the term or ref to a "cows knee" before here, but that... is oneheluva thing. is it several pannels or one slightly pleated to make the conical shape?

Cow's Knee flintlock covers have been used since at least the 1700's. It's called a Cow's Knee because the shape of the cover needed to cover the top of the flintlock is the same as the shape of the knee from the back leg of a cow. Making it out of one piece and tucking and sewing it into shape gives less opportunity for water to get through it than getting through a cut and sewn seam. Heavier leathers will require a cut and sewn seam because they are too thick to tuck and sew. It works great but, of course, only protects the lock area.

Twisted_1in66 :hatsoff:

hobowonkanobe said:
ya think moose hide might do a fair to midlan version of this? I ask cuz it's the one type of leather I have in profusion.

I said Cowhide because buckskin is too light. Moose should work dandy but stretch it before cutting and sewing.

Dan

I got caught in a shower last fall without any rain gear. Wrapped a plastic grocery store bag around the lock. Tried to rip it off when a grouse went up. Flipped open the frizzen and brushed most of the powder out of the pan. :doh: Plastic wrapped around cock and flint and she didn't spark, let alone fire. Probably made no difference. I took up "shoot and release" grouse hunting years ago. graybeard

Someone here once posted about buying a huge rawhide dog bone chewie thingie, soaking it until soft, unrolling it, then forming it to your lock area (firearm cover w/ saran-wrap) ... and letting it dry.

Will not work because as soon as it gets wet again, it will turn into a soggy mess just as it did when you soaked it in the first place to unroll it. I doubt that even if you sprayed it with clear Krylon after shaping it and drying it that it would stand up to a rain of any significance. Tanned and oiled or waxed leather is your best bet. If you can afford it, Dan Phariss' idea is a good one. I have one very similar to it and it is a dandy. I also have a leather cow's knee and I actually prefer it unless the weather is really bad. Then I either go for the full cover or stay home....depending on just how bad the weather is. Judging from Dan's pictures, he is a tougher man than I am.

baxter said:
I like this idea; I have a couple of silicone-impregnated pistol gun-socks, nice and stretchy. Thanks.

Use a wool hunting sock. It is shaped like a cows knee. I use it for snow, not rain. It is always cold here when I hunt with a flintlock seems like.

Bob

Back