• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cheap weather cover for Flintlock lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheap and effective- two rubber bands and a section cut off a black trash bag.

They are named cow's knee's because they were originally taken from the legs of the cow. The natural shape fitted, and there was little use for that part of the hide. They didn't waste much back then.

hobowonkanobe said:
:redface: to be blunt, I had never heard the term or ref to a "cows knee" before here, but that... is oneheluva thing. is it several pannels or one slightly pleated to make the conical shape?

Billnpatti said:
Will not work because as soon as it gets wet again, it will turn into a soggy mess just as it did when you soaked it in the first place to unroll it. I doubt that even if you sprayed it with clear Krylon after shaping it and drying it that it would stand up to a rain of any significance.
Good points, doh ... rot ro' ... I never thought it through as I have a leather cow's knee akin to being discussed. Agreed Dan's idea is slick :thumbsup: ,

also, rawhide is the one type of leather that is NOT porous... at all. So, trying to water treat it is a good way to scare the spouse with the *&^%& that'll fly out ones mouth trying.
I don't know much about cows knees, but I do know leather.
Using rawhide dog bones is and can be really handy for many things, knife sheathes, boxes etc, but anything that requires weather protection... nope.

Back