• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Christmas treats

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapow

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Merry Christmas all.

I happened to spend Christmas with friends on their farm which is being infested with rabbits. I went for a walk every afternoon and practised with my Sthn Mountain flintlock. 40 cal. I averaged about 4-5 rabbits each walk which was about 100 metres or so.

On the second day I nearly stepped on a huge feral black cat which hissed at me and took off just before I dropped the hammer on him. Would have been an excellent kill for my small game rifle.

I found the calibre made huge exit holes and head shots were required.

Sounds like a fun and productive hunt. Rabbit is one animal I haven't taken with my .40 cal. Couple of them look as big as a cat! :rotf: Happy New Year. Dan.

Stupidly they are categorised as a bolt action centrefire. It's not too hard to own them but getting hold of powder can sometimes be a pain due to supply issues and transport.

I nailed a big kangaroo as well on the last day. Surprisingly there was no exit wound and it ran a good two hundred metres before falling to a heart shot. I don't think it knew that it was dead.

Pardon my ignorance, but are kangaroo something you eat or a nuisance species?

Yes, it was a bit warm and the snakes are a constant worry but I'm guessing that they're well fed on kittens.

Mostly nuisance. Some people eat them but personally I struggle to keep them on the plate. :rotf:

A full grown male kangaroo over six feet tall is an impressive thing to see in full flight. Forget the bouncing up and down Disney nonsense and picture it in forward motion, head down, covering maybe 4-5 metres each bound.

A fully grown male kangaroo tipping over from a heart shot mid stride in full flight is also a sight to behold.

A full grown male kangaroo hit by a car is also a sight to behold! When I was in Australia, I saw a number of those. I didn't see any of the cars afterward, but bet that does a pretty good job on them. Loved the Kangaroo and Wombat crossing signs just like we have Deer Crossing signs here.

We golfed quite a bit when there and got use to having to scoop aside all the Roo-Poo-Pellets to clear a path to putt! They love those watered greens and fairways! No shortage of Roo's around while golfing...but I gave them a wide berth. Had one male kind of posturing at me and I just picked up my ball and moved on. They could use someone on those courses to reduce the "herd."

There was a horde of puppies from the farmers working dogs that got a leg or two each.

Good stuff, and looks like some good eating! :thumbsup: I could use some of that warm weather right now :grin:

Back