• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleanest burning bp?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Boettcher

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I shoot a Pietta '58 remmy. I've been using 30 grains of Pyrodex P, but am thinking of going to holy black. From your knowledge what is the cleanest burning BP?

There's no such as a "clean" or even "cleaner" black powder. I would suppose it depends on the gun and other factors such as lube, prb size and patch thickness. BP is DIRTY and that fact shouldn't even enter into the ML shooting equation. Simply shoot what gives you good performance and don't worry over it.

I shoot Swiss 3F and 777 2F depending on the gun/caliber. The Swiss is very clean (for BP), but the 777 seems to be even a bit cleaner, and about the same load/velocity.

I think both of these propellants are superior to anything out there. I know many will disagree with me, but that has been what my experience has been.

My opinion is that Swiss is the cleanest burning and most efficient BP available and it makes a difference in barrel fouling control and thus overall accuracy.
Goex Express was also very good but is not made any longer.

In my experience, Swiss 3Fg is the cleanest real bp I have ever used.
Swiss 1 for single shots
I have tried Swiss 1 1/2 Fg. with lousy results. Harder to ignite than a rock. :shocked2:
Have since learned it is intended for use in bp cartridges that use a hot primer.

Yeah, Swiss 1.5 is particularly good in cartridge guns although my underhammer seems to shoot it well.
Course that is direct focused brisance to the powder column.

FWIW when I shoot Schuetzen BP powdah, my flint/matchlock arms clean up in 1/3rd the patches and effort when using Goex powdah.

Where Swiss and Schuetzen are made by the same company .... and I think you have your answer.

I'm wondering how Olde Eynsford by Goex compares to Swiss here as it compares well enough in performance from what I've seen.

Olde E is the only BP I've used, next to some subs (Pyrodex and Triple 7), as no other true BP performs that well next to it and Swiss (vol for vol).

"Clean burning black powder" is an oxymoron. There is no such thing. Learn to handle the fouling and live with the fact that there WILL BE fouling. The only variation I have ever noticed in fouling comes from the different granulations and humidity. FFF burns a tiny bit cleaner than FF, etc. Humidity will affect fouling in that high humidity keeps it soft, making it easier to reload while low humidity can make fouling as hard as a rock. And, IMHO and based on my very limited experience, 777 fouls as badly or worse than good quality black powder. I would never use that stuff any way.

Olde E is the only BP I've used, next to some subs (Pyrodex and Triple 7), as no other true BP performs that well next to it and Swiss (vol for vol).

???

Jack Wilson said:
CKeshen said:
but the 777 seems to be even a bit cleaner
777 isn't black powder.

I know the OP was asking about the cleanest burning BP, but I just thought I would throw in a comment about 777 as he is currently burning Pyro and might be interested in a MUCH better BP substitute.

CKeshen said:
Jack Wilson said:
CKeshen said:
but the 777 seems to be even a bit cleaner
777 isn't black powder.

I know the OP was asking about the cleanest burning BP, but I just thought I would throw in a comment about 777 as he is currently burning Pyro and might be interested in a MUCH better BP substitute.
The guys asks about the best apples and you tell him oranges are better? :rotf:

It would be nice to list the various commercially available BP's too, and then rank them for fouling, smell, or any other criteria you can think of. from what I've read, much of the difference comes from the source wood used to make the charcoal. As far as I know there is;

Jack's Battle Powder
KIK
Goex
Olde Eyensford
Swiss
Schutzen

JBP is great and is what I've been using. Regular Goex is also great but costs a bit more than JBP. In my BP career, I've found the only thing that makes any difference is the type of rifling. My round bottom bores clean up with about 1/3 or less the number of patches needed for square cut rifling.

Yeah, I remember back in '77 or '78 or so when my powder dealer was so excited about this new thing called Pyrodex.

"It's just like black, 'cept ya don't have to clean it!" they said.

"Well, just like black, but it don't corrode yer gun!" they said.

Then: "Uh, kinda like black, 'less ya use a flinter, and it might not be so bad on yer gun"

And finally: "Here's yer blackpowder, Bill."

:grin:

Back