• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cleanest powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't shoot substitutes but there was one called Kleanshot, or something similar. Don't assume that because the powder doesn't have as much residue that it is not corrosive- some of it is more corrosive than black powder. I have shot a variety of stuff and IMHO nothing bests good old black powder- easy to ignite, easy to weigh by weight or volume, clean up with hot soapy water. Buying black powder is the only problem. Which brings me to a question- on the shipping aspect. Anyone ever hear of any black powder actually blowing up? Is it a reality or just something else to harass shooters?

I have found that Swiss Powder is the cleanest, but it is out of my price range. I went to KIK 3fff and it is almost as easy to clean as the Swiss and alot cheaper too.!

Swampy said:
Ahh come get dirty with us!

Yep :grin: I have tried most all the substitutes and I still like plain old black powder, it seems to clean up easy enough.

Swiss powder is cleanest for me. In small bores,Swiss is the cats meow.

Since the other guys won't say it..I'm gonna.. Triple 7 by Hogdon is possibly the cleanest powder around. I have used it in the past..but have since switched to Goex fff, reason I switched was the price mainly, but Goex ( real black powder) has it's good points and really isn't that hard to clean up.
I find that your patch lube is a big cause for fouling.Oxyoke pre-lubed patches have been a major cause, for me at least, of fouling. So, I use a home made concotion of 1 part amonia, 1 part murphys' oil soap and 1 part denatured alcohol, I mix it all up in a gallon milk jug. Then pour into a small spray bottle..I spray each and everyone one of my patches with it and no fouling is present and I can shoot all day (I do swab between shots, using the same swabbing patch app. 10 shots or so before grabbing another cleaning patch) I know my reply is a little off topic and apologize for that.

I tried that cleanshot,junk. Didn't store long,clomped up and my rifle all shot way left with it. I like the real black. Your best bet is to buy one of them muzzleloaders that use smokeless powder. Then you can clean them whenever you want.Dilly

I agree with S. Kenton I shoot Hogdon triple 7 and after I get done shooting once or multiple times it cleans up very easily and efficient.

I'm fairly new to shooting this yr but like any kid with new toy I've been shooting.just opened my 5th bag of 100 50 cal and I'm trying what ever powder I can get my hands on. Bass Pro is the only place I can get real black by single can and they want $30 for either ff or fff.I'll admit its fun and gives off diff effect but not worth the cost(cant afford qt purchase to mail order and dont have any friends that shoot)It is more involved to clean than the subs in my opinion. I've used Triple 7 ff and Pyro RS and Pyro P. All of which I can buy any day of the week for $15-$22 and cheaper if I catch a sale. The easiest for me has been the trip 7 and its even easier if I use boiling water than just letting the hot run a bit in the wash tub. The subs dont recommend soap either. With the subs I been able to shoot 8-10 times with out any trouble wear as with the real black its tough loading after 2-3 shots. I know its no big deal to wipe between shots but thats not what this topic is about I dont think. The subs have been the easiest for me to use and have a good time,but maybe its just me. Final note , I'm finding the type of lube I use matters too but thats a topic or diff post.

In Ohio or more specifically my area in Ohio, Goex is like 14.50 per lb.( shooting club discount) 777 is like around 32$ per lb. I may have been more inclined to stay with 777 if the cost wouldn't have shot up so bad over my way.
Also, Goex (or real BP) has a distinctive sound to it..like a low pitched boom. Whereas 777 has a weird sounding "crack" to it..Just another difference I figured I'd mention.. sorry to stray off topic.. yet once again!

I only use Goex and find that to be the cleanest powder that I now use. I use to use Dupont and Hercules, they were also very clean. Real Black powder is so easy to clean that the only way subs could be easier is if you didn't have to clean after shooting them but you do have to clean whatever you shoot. Real black powder gets my vote.
Deadeye

lightle man said:
whats the cleanest powder to shoot through a percusion cap muzzleloader?
The question is framed in such a way, that a single answer can't reliably be given.

As others have stated the patch lube and environmental issues (primarily Humidity) offer a huge set of variables to any powder, beit real Black or any of the propelants.

Potassium Sulfate and Potassium carbonate are the two primary residual componats in bore fouling with Real Black, other various carbons can be found in the propelants.
ALL need to be cleaned ASAP with soapy water, the amount of fouling left in the bore after any shooting session is directly related to the shooters technique, avaiable moisture and his prefered lube properties.

Beleive it or not, Spit lubbed patches remove the most fouling! :haha:

The "cleanest" powder I've ever found that you can shoot from a caplock is American Pioneer Powder. This stuff almost makes the barrel "slipperier" rather than fowling it. I don't know what is in or not in it, but the HUGE drawback is that w/90 grs behind a .54 roundball I chrono'd it at only 1000 fps, give or take. The same load with 777 is 2000 fps give or take. I'm just not willing to give up 1000 fps for any amount of cleanliness! I also found that ignition in small bores, like my .32 or .36 was inconsistent with Pioneer.

While others here have the experience that 777 is "cleaner" than real bp, I haven't found that in my shooting. However, 777 does not have that strong sulphur smell, which sure makes my wife happier when I clean guns in the house. Overall, for a caplock, I don't think 777 can be beat and you can buy it all over, even at big-box mart.

I do use Goex in my flintlock as Hodgen doesn't even recommend 777 in a flintlock unless you pour a little real bp in first, and who's going to mess around with that.

Back