• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cleanin patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbles

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I have always BOUGHT my cleanin patches, the big 3" ones, Well I ran out so I got a t shirt and cut it up in 3" squares, What a nice firm fit goin in, I'll never buy cleanin patched again, Yep,,,, I'm gonna be an expert at bein a dummy,, or a least bein slow,,,,,,

Be careful. I had some of the T shirt patches bunch up on me and jam the rod. That is how I broke a ramrod...

Convince you wife to buy flannel bed sheets. Then, convince her to replace them whenever you need more patches. You can get a LOT of cleaning patches out of two sheets. I tear them into 2-1/2" wide strips and carry a rolled up & tied strip in my haversack.

And they're nice to sleep on in the winter, too.

Pork Chop said:
Be careful. I had some of the T shirt patches bunch up on me and jam the rod. That is how I broke a ramrod...

Mornin Pork Chop
Be careful I will, thank you for the info,, with mine it's firm not tight, I THINK I will be ok

Every couple years I replace my T-shirts, and my sweet Wife makes up a batch of about 100-125 3" patches out every one of them...work perfectly for me in .54/.58/.62 calibers.

(I use 2" squares in the .45/.50cals)

I been going to walmart, they always have material on sale for a dollar a yard, thats a crappola load of patches, and the denim is great for round ball patch.

i use old t shirts i like the white ones and then after cleaning the rifle throw them in a cup of water for a couple days and use them over again about 2 or 3 more times then they seem to get pretty thin then throw them away.
curly maple

curly maple said:
i use old t shirts i like the white ones and then after cleaning the rifle throw them in a cup of water for a couple days and use them over again about 2 or 3 more times then they seem to get pretty thin then throw them away.
curly maple
Mornin curly maple
I agree with washin em, I've been doin that even with the store bought ones,
I shoot a lot, I go thru a lot of cleanin materials, Maybe some day I'll get good,,,,

I used the 3" rnd cleaning patches with my Knight 50 and I have gotten them stuck on at least two separate attempts. Once so tight I had to remove the breech plug and drive with out w/a mallet. My first thought was the patch was too big/thick. But it only happen on 2 of the many attempts. Any thought on that?

Mike

Mike Muzzle said:
I used the 3" rnd cleaning patches with my Knight 50 and I have gotten them stuck on at least two separate attempts. Once so tight I had to remove the breech plug and drive with out w/a mallet. My first thought was the patch was too big/thick. But it only happen on 2 of the many attempts. Any thought on that?

Mike
Mornin Mike Muzzle
I don't know what to say, I don't THINK the t's will get stuck in mine, It don't feel that tight, just firm,, But that don't mean it won't, Guess my thought on that would be,, "it could of been worse,, It could of happened to me",,
rotf.gif

I'm just funnin now,,,,
Darn, after the way some of these threads went south, I felt I better say that,,,,,,

A lot of it has to do with the length and/or shape of the shank on the jag.

If I use a large patch, but have a short shanked jag, the excess material will pinch up around the shank and bind in the bore.

Longer shank jags, with a drastic step-down in shank diameter right behind the jag-head, gives the excess material a place to go.

2" patches work best for me in .45/.50's.

3" work OK in my .54's with long shank jags, but 2.5" patches see best.

3" patches work best for me in .58/62's.

Although I agree that the patches sticking are mostly due to binding on the rod or jag part of the problem could be polyester used in the T shirts. Plastics tend to get really sticky when mixed with black powder or most subs. If you use scraps or old t’s, read the label and avoid less than 100% cotton. Some materials fray badly, using pinking shears to cut the fabric will minimize string down bore.

Detergents and fabric softeners can also cause problems.

Maybe I'm alone here, but I like to use terry cloth towels from the dollar store, which I cut into cleaning patches. It just seems to clean the rifling better. I use a 45cal jag for a 50cal rifle because the material is thicker.

100% cotton flannel for about 1.89/yd at Wally World, cuttin board and a rotary cutter. Quick and easy to make several plastic bags full of patches for the shooting box (carry about 20 or so in an Altoids tin in the shooting bag).

Mornin TxRambler
That's interestin, I have a 50 cal
jag that I filed down a lil so I could clean my weapon (sometimes) out in the field, I broke one tryin to get it in the barrel when I was out in the woods, Darn barrels are smaller when their dirty,,

Back