• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning Black Powder Firearms: A Dissenting Voice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright, I'll admit it......this thread contradicts everything I do when I clean my rifles. I use cold tap water and that's about it. I do clean until the patches come out white, even use a breech brush......but I only use a bronze brush about once a year. Always heard that would ruin the "seasoning"......Plus I've always been told that you NEVER pull a bronze brush back through a barrel. When everything is clean and dry, I liberally coat the inside of the barrel with a combo of olive oil and bees wax. I've never had a problem with rust.

I'm just paranoid enough that now I'll spend the next week rethinking my process. ::

All I will say on this is use what ever works for you. the most improtant thing is no rust or pitting.
:imo:

All I will say on this is use what ever works for you. the most improtant thing is no rust or pitting.
:imo:

I agree...the end game is not his/her/my process, or his/her/my products...the end game is a well cared for, accurate, reliable rifle.

My regimen has worked so perfectly for so long now that I'm afraid to go off and try something different just for the sake of experimenting...but certainly there are other equally reliable regimens...I happened to get started with this one...so for me: "if it ain't broke, I ain't gonna fix it"

I am using bore butter (TC) as a lube for the barrel. What have you guys experienced with this product?

I am using bore butter (TC) as a lube for the barrel. What have you guys experienced with this product?

Natural Lube 1000 is all I've used for 15+ years and it's been outstanding for me

I kinda have to agree with OldGreyWolf. I have tried many things over the years but I still feel mo-better using Hot soap & water. I lube my bore, & outside with a mixture of 4 pts 3inOne oil & 1 part dura-lube. Give it a try, seems to work as good, or better than anything I've tried in the past. :imo: :results:

Latest posts

Back