• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning brass and silver inlays

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcward1944

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Sorry "mudd turtle" I posted this under your butt plate topic by mistake.
As some of you know I'm pretty new at all of this and have read a lot about cleaning a muzzleloader. I have tried several methods and finding out what works good for me on cleaning,patches,patch lubes etc.
I would like to know what is a good for cleaning your brass or silver butt plates and inlays. Is there a good metal polish that not only cleans and shines but protects the metal. What do some of you use?
Thanks

Any good brass / silver cleaner should work good. My wife has some stuff called Mr. Metal. I used it on my brass patch box and brass buttplate. It contains a very fine abrasive so if you have a lot of build up, it might take sever applications to remove it all the way.

One other metal polish you can use is Mother's Mag Polish as it will give a very fine polish as well without the ammonia that most other metal polishes use.

If you want to remove dirt, grime, I am now a fan of Ballistol as it seems to really get a hold of the grunge. However, it will do nothing for the oxidation.

As a final coat, use some car paste wax or bees wax over the metal to protect the finish.

Tom

I use Mother's chrome or metal polish you can get it at most auto parts stores. Mudd Turtle.

If you can find it there is a product called semichrome polish, that is about the best stuff there is, it's a little expensive, but a small drop goes a long, long way,and it work on just about anything, and leaves a protective film. You can find it in most any knifemakers supply catalog or website. Just a suggestion.

I use this stuff:
Nevr Dull

Wouldn´t want to miss it. Nevr Dull, Ballistol and WD40 are always present in my household. :thumbsup:

Zep makes a metal cleaner that comes in a large tube like a toothpaste tube that is pink and creamy and is a wonderful cleaner...wipe on wipe off...makes brass shine like gold..I think it's simply called metal cleaner

Should one be concerned about damaging the nearby wood finish when using any of these products? I'd rather not have shiny brass furniture at the cost of ruining the varnish. I plan to leave everything tarnished this year until after hunting (don't want the sun to catch on a shiny brass surface and give away movement)

Back