• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cleaning jag fit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbeck

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just got a new .54 cal cleaning jag from TOTW for my GPR. I also got some (washed) white cotton flannel from JoAnn Fabric for cleaning patches. With one patch on the jag it is a real tight fit in the clean barrel. Is there a rule of thumb for how tight the jag should fit? I thought about turning it down (the jag) a little with a drill & flat file.

Is it still real tight when wet or oiled? Flannel is pretty thick,I normally buy cotton "Jersey" which is what they make T shirts out of. I would go ahead and buy some jersey and save the flannel for polishing uses.

Kbeck, I also go the flannel route from Jo-Ann's. In my .45 cal I make my jag about 1/2" to 5/8" long and about .425" to.435" in diamater with circular rings cut into it on a lathe with a "V" cutter to a depth of .010" - .015" every .032". This gives me a "snug" fit for the first two or three cleaning wipes then I turn over the cleaning patch and place a thin piece of cotton material under the flannel patch and have at it for four or five more swipes. Then start again with a clean flannel patch. My brother saves his used patches and washes them - me - I just toss them.

wet (with break free CLP). I'm going to give the flannel a try first & probably reduce the diameter of the jag a little...just not sure how much. Thanks

Have you tried reducing the size of the patch you're using? I find that if the patch is just too big I just cut the patch a bit and the decreases the folds etc. the jag is dealing with and it fits much better.

Every place I have ever gotten them from the dia. varies. On the ones I usually buy for a .54 the jag would be .525 to .535 . I like the long shank type. And I modify them for swabbing & use them as the come for cleaning. :thumbsup:

kbeck said:
Is there a rule of thumb for how tight the jag should fit?

Tight enough to clean, loose enough so you don't need the jaws of life (ramrod puller).

Sounds like your jag is too big.

.023 to .025 under bore dia. works best for me. Any larger than that it's too tight, any smaller and I lose the patch in the bore.

cleaning jag fit is as controversial as cleanin g solutions. I like mine to fit so that they slide down easy and pull out snug. This (IMHO) keeps the jag from pushing the fouling down into the breach area, but pulls it out. To get this fit you need a fairly large patch with a loose fit.Myself I like about twenty thousands clearance per side when using patches .015 thick.

kbeck,
Just wondering how many times your
.54 has been fired. Makes a difference IMO.
snake-eyes :hmm:

kbeck,
Just wondering how many times your
.54 has been fired. Makes a difference IMO.
snake-eyes

I bought it used. Don't know how many times its been fired. Its 17 yrs old (according to the serial number I think) but not used much. Reckon I'll just turn it down a little at a time 'til it feels right. Thanks

I turn the ones I make .030" under bore size unless someone requests a certain size.

Remember, if you turn or file a jag down, it may dull the edges of the cannellures or even change their shape enough that they won't grab the patch as well when you pull it out. You may want to find a way to cut them a little deeper or at least get them to their original shape.

Latest posts

Back