• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning new Brown Bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It may not always work, but I had a stubborn patch that just would not budge. I dropped about 5 grains of BP down the bore and shot the patch out. It went about 10 feet. I had tried the patch worm and couldn't grab it. I think it got down in the patent breech area. Good luck!

Everyone has their own methods of gun cleanings, for my Brown Bess Style Guns I do the following.

General Cleaning Method, First I remove the lock bolts, and lock.

I clean the lock off with a brass brush dry first to get the big stuff off. Then I use a scotch brite pad with warm soapy water (not too hot) to clean the visible fouling.

I then wrap the lock in a chamise and let it air dry for 30 min to an hour. I then inspect the internals for moister or rust or fouling. If it looks good I oil it out. Pay special attention tot eh underside of the frizzen, frizzen to spring contact and face of the fintcock and top jaw and jaw screw.

Oil the lock with barricade, and oil up all contact moving parts.

If the lock is supper fouled I dissassemble the lock and clean off each part with warm soap water and a brass toothbrush like brush.

Remove Tang Bolt.

There’s always a debate to unpinning the barrel, I unpin mine. I have my pins tapered for left side entry, I use a punch to tap out the pins and I do it very carefully as to not accidentally punch the wood, I had a special jig out of tooling leather to cover the radius of the pin area.

Barrel cleaning, plug up the vent hole, or tape over it, I first run some war water down it to lose up the fouling, water with solvent. I run a rod with a worm on the end, and on the end of the worm I wrap some scotch brite steel wool with soap, that cleans off most of the fouling. I rinse out the barrel over and over until the water is clear, then run mop, and then jag out with oiled patches until the barrel is dry. I run an oiled snake down the barrel while its drying to absorb as much moister as possible.

Run dry patches down until they come out clean.

For the breech area, I jam down a chunk of magic eraser on the end of slotted dowel and turn it until the black is gone.

For very through cleanings, I remove the breech plug completely, I have special tools to do this, you’ll need a round barrel vise or wooden clamp, its not the easiest thing to do with care. I don’t recommend removing the breech plug unless you have the right tools do it with care. Otherwise removing the breech isn’t totally necessary.

Before reassembling I clean off the stock with mineral oil, after it dries, I polish it with pure caranuba wax and a chamise. I rub a soluble wax sealant into the barrel channel and inspect the lock mortise.

Reassemble the gun.

Dont forget to oil the ramrod, and trigger.

Latest posts

Back