• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cleaning procedures for pedersoli frontier

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am in favor of taking the barrel off and cleaning it out in a bucket of hot water. But, my Kentuckey rifle is not designed to break down that easy, it is more suited to the nipple hose flush idea. Whatever you do if you run patch after patch of this or that with each patch coming out cleaner then puttin in some sort of non-petroleum based lube {I like bore butter}..you should be good

Zonie, Sean, et. al.

I too use bore butter on my Lyman GPR and get the rust color. However I use TC #13 on the bore with no water in my cleaning regimen and still get the same rust colored patches long after I think the bore should be clean.

However, I am not so sure this is rust, I believe it is a reaction between the blueing and the bore butter. I swab the outsite of the barrel with the bore butter as well after cleaning and get the same rust colored residue knowing full well there is no rust there.

Once for grins and giggles I took a newer cartridge firearm with a top quality blueing job, swabbed it with bore butter on the outside and got the same rust color. I have no clue what could be causing the rust color within the blueing, but from an amateur's eye it does not look like the barrel is rusting.

Of note, is that I live at 6,000 ft. above sea level with average humidities in the 20 - 30% range so that too makes me believe I am not seeing true rust from ambient moisture settling on the barrel.

I am curious if others have tried the "outside" the barrel maneuver as well with the same results.

Thanks!

I was wondering the same thing. On the other hand. Fouling seemed no different using oil. Before I shot it I ran a couple of dry patches down the bore. Then I ran a patch with borebutter down. I use prelubed pillow ticking(bore butter) and a .530 round ball. The first ball I loaded went right down.

As I read these posts, I'm wondering. I also have had patches of rust color come out out of the barrel after sitting for awhile. Horrified and thinking it was rust, from bore, butter I inspected the barrel with a fancy little fiber optic light and found the barrel pristine. I haven't tried using it on a cartridge gun {why would I}. I wonder if the bore butter breaks down to this color? As far as oil and blackpowder, in my experience it produces a black death substance that it not easy to clean and will close up your powder chamber. Keep your favorite bacon pan seasoned but keep your barrel squeaky clean, you'll shoot better

Greetings Vand1,

It is no secret that I am totally opposed to using the hot water and soap cleaning method.

Your rifle has a powder chamber a 1/4 inch or smaller in diameter, so you are correct in using the flush tube.

Do yourself a good turn and buy a product name Black-Solve. Dixie Gun Works sells it you can not find it locally.

Use Black-Solve to clean the barrel and flush through the breech and drum as usual. No need to remove the nipple if you do not want to. A piece of 1/8 " soft rubber tubing will fit quite nicely on the nipple.

Put about 2 " of Black-Solve in the barrel. Use a snug fitting patch on the ramrod and use a plunging motion. Flush through the nipple and tubing. Do this twice, then clean the bore with Black-Solve until the bore is clean, and dry with one or two dry, clean patches.

Wrap a dry cleaning patch around a 22 caliber bronze/brass cleaning brush and use that to dry out the trapped moisture in the powder chamber.

Now comes the important part. With the tubing still on the nipple, squirt WD-40 down the bore to run out the moisture residue in the breech and drum threads.
This is probably the source of your rust.

Dry the powder chamber and bore and coat the bore with RIG Grease. Forget the Bore Butter except as a patch lube.

If you are not sure about this cleaning method, ask Davy about his Pedersoli Flintlock.

Best regards and good shooting,

John L. Hinnant

If you are not an NRA Member, why not? I am carrying your load.

Hey John,
Is that the clear blue liquid stuff? Guy at the Gun Shop( Fred. and 410) swears by it. Said he dont even remove the barrel. Plus he said he swabs between shot with it.

***Sean*** said:
Hey John,
Is that the clear blue liquid stuff? Guy at the Gun Shop( Fred. and 410) swears by it. Said he dont even remove the barrel. Plus he said he swabs between shot with it.

blksle.jpg

[url] http://www.dixiegunworks.com/...&osCsid=b9f199701dd6e1ac3b2e2f8ac27f9c39[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think it was a Dixie brand he had. I need some powder so Ill go back and have a look. He carries GOEX so that is a plus.

***Sean*** said:
I dont think it was a Dixie brand he had. I need some powder so Ill go back and have a look. He carries GOEX so that is a plus.

Sean ... I meant to add earlier that yes ... when mixed with water to make the prescribed quart, it is in fact a clear blue .. looks much like windex or the blue window cleaner, but does IMHO a much better job of desolving the crud.

It IS good stuff, and its what I use myself. October Country sells it as well!
[url] http://www.octobercountry.com/products3.php?productid=131[/url]

Davy

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back