• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cleaning regiment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtewsmoke

45 Cal.
Reaction score
'bout a week ago after shooting I cleaned w/water, then wd-40, let sit maybe 1/2 hr then finished up w/ butches bore shine(this is where i normally use gun oil) and put away. Checked w/ a patch today and sure enuf...a li'l rust forming in the barrel. I like butches, but it's obviously not to be used as a rust barrier during storage. Most of you brobly already knew this. Kinda abnormal to research and learn something on your own w/out the internet aint it??? :wink: Scott

Try Birchwood Casey's Barricade for rust prevention. That stuff is awesome. :thumbsup:

I'll second what Bigdogg said. I like Barricade but to be fair, it is not the only good gun oil on the market. There are others but Barricade is hard to beat.

newtewsmoke said:
'bout a week ago after shooting I cleaned,,,
Checked w/ a patch today and sure enuf...a li'l rust forming in the barrel.

Ya know, that's something that's just typical of these Trad ML guns.
Don't know if there's always something still in there or if it's the naturl of the steel/metal they use for the barrels,,
But I learned along time ago to go back to the guns a few days later and run another patch up-n-down the bore a few times. Always seem to be a little rust trying to take hold.

I learned to use regular gun oil and clean it before I shoot the next time and there's a oil patch with the range rods right handy near the gun cabinet all the time.
Even in the off shooting season I'll re-swab the bores an wipe the outside down every few weeks.

My guns are an investment, I care for'm.

Glad I'm not the only one to experience this. I first flush may barrel with wicked hot water and Dawn dish soap. Once "clean" I flush it with cold water to cool the barrel. Then I scrub it down with WD40. Wipe that "clean". Then a dab of barricade. Works for me.

Ive never used WD-40 on/in a firearm of any kind! Im kinda a T/C loyalist i guess and use #13 Bore Cleaner and Bore Butter religiously! I dont shoot as much as alot of guys on here do so i really dont need to make my own cleaner with water, peroxide, Murphys Oil Soap, etc! Before storage I like to run a alcohol soaked patch down the bore, let it dry and then melt a little bore butter down and soak a bore mop with it! I then swab the bore with the mop and store! Seems to work well for me :idunno:

I have had seriously bad experiences with WD-40 turning to sludge over time in the working parts of guns that are treated and put aside for long periods. Even worse ones with 3-in-1 oil.

I am told that Dexron II transmission fluid is synthetic Whale Oil, and is great for rust prevention.

LD

mnbearbaiter said:
Ive never used WD-40 on/in a firearm of any kind! Im kinda a T/C loyalist i guess and use #13 Bore Cleaner and Bore Butter religiously! I dont shoot as much as alot of guys on here do so i really dont need to make my own cleaner with water, peroxide, Murphys Oil Soap, etc! Before storage I like to run a alcohol soaked patch down the bore, let it dry and then melt a little bore butter down and soak a bore mop with it! I then swab the bore with the mop and store! Seems to work well for me :idunno:

I'm glad that is working for you.

I've talked to guys at the club who SWEAR they wouldn't use Bore Butter for
ANY GUN THAT I CARED ABOUT!!
... yes, they were yelling when they said it.

Another guy told me to use only WD-40 and nothing else, because
it's a water displacer. Thats the only thing I've used for 30yrs and you won't see any rust in any of my barrels.
And then another guy told me he wouldn't use WD-40 on a childs bicycle chain.... and CERTAINLY not on his rifle.

I clean with hot soapy water and then dry the outside with a cotton towel. I dry the inside with patches of old cotten T-shorts that I cut up. After it's dry I swab with a cotton patch of Hoppes oil and then store the rifle.

Just goes to show ya there's many different ways to skin that cat. We all find our own path and discover what works and what doesn't.

Not so sure id want to use trans fluid. That stuff gets pretty sticky as it ages. Might make a good lube but i wouldnt want to store a gun with trans fluid in the barrel. ive also been wondering about using wd as a patch lube someone posted somewhere i read that it was no more than scented diesel wouldnt it combust under the pressures in our guns thats how diesel works it combusts under pressure but i store my gun with wd in the barrel i just swab with a dry patch before loading to prevent powder sticking to the bore :idunno:

Back