• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning Supplies/Cleaning Procedure

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knapper

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Now that you guys have set me straight on a brand and size of powder (Goex 3f) to start with, how about words of wisdom on cleaning my 54 GPR? I am probably going to go to Bass Pro Shops to get the powder, so I might as well pick up some cleaning supplies. But some advice on a cleaning procedure that works for you guys would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Knapper

Knapper,
you will most certainly get a different answer for each responce. mine is a good brass cleaning brush, hoppe's #9 Plus cleaning fluid and lots&lots of cleaning patches then something like stumpy"s moose snot to coat the barrel after you have it completely cleaned and dryed. :m2c: :imo: :results: but that is my routine.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS
snake-eyes :peace: :) :thumbsup: :)

Knapper, snake eyes is right about all of the answers you'll get. I use one of two routines...hot soapy water with the touch hole immersed, and the rod/patch acting as a piston...the bbl then well dried, and Sheath used to coat the surfaces. OR, I use Butch's Bore Bright ( a Lyman product), and follow up with Sheath. I've recently been messing with a gun I put together more than 30 years ago, and that has been in the rack for 10 yrs plus, not fired, and I find the bbl is still shiny...my methods may not be the best, but they've worked for me. I suspect that there are a lot of correct ways, as long as you get the crud out and a rust preventative in...Hank

Soapy water, I use dawn and bore butter after you dry it. I like my GPR becouse the barrel comes off for cleaning. :winking: Rocky

Just make sure you clean it very good before you ever fire it!!!! The goop they coat the barrels with is hard to get off and if you don't you are in for grief. I would say you should get some brake or carburetor cleaner. It worked for me.
Old Charlie

Knapper most people will tell you to use the rubber-ducky soap and water treatment but just be aware that there is no LAW that a ML has to be cleaned that way.

I too have got very good results just using Hoppe's #9+, followed by regular #9 and then some Kroil and then oil. (for about 30 years)

I just have a bad feeling about using water on a firearm...I may be totally wrong but I really have to wonder if a certain amount of water does not penetrate the breech plug threads. I suppose all that could depend on the quality of the fit of the breech plug...but I'd still rather have a bit of solvent and oil get in there than water.

Just a strange opinion I have so look at all aspects of it and decide for your self...and I always get my plug in about alternatives to using water whenever I can!!

:youcrazy:

At any rate rain and snow is the only water that touches my guns.

:imo: :results: :m2c: :sorry:

Rat

as said in previous posts and you can see there are lots different methods to clean your gun .one thing i do with a new or used gun is what old charlie suggests .never assume the gun is clean and ready to fire as soon as you get it .if i remember correctly.. the gpr you purchased has a hooked breech and can be removed easily take a one gallon bucket with 4oz murphys oil soap and a gallon of hot water .submerse the touch hole into the water and useing a good bore brush scrub the daylites out of the barrel,then alternate between putting a dry patch on the brush and brushing the barrel until clean.i too become concerned about the breech threads so i use rem oil in a spray can aseing the little tube and squirt a little oil through the touch hole then cot the barrel with stumpys moose snot or bore butter after i have dried the bore thoroughly.if my gun is going to hang a while i run a grease patch down the bore every once in a while to make sure it stays lubed .

when i go shooting i use an alcohol soaked patch toremove the excess grease before i load and clean between shots at the range .
when hunting ,if i load for a second shot i just reload .
this is how i do it .it sounds like i do more work than necessary but i love my b/p guns and love to pamper them :winking: find the method that works best for you and stick with it treat your guns right and they will never let you down and one more thing don't forget to clean behind your lock also :imo: :results: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the replies. You all have given me much food for thought. I am still checking this thread, so keep the posts coming.

Knapper

It's funny you hear so much about how people hate to clean their guns, but I can tell BrushBuster don't mind and I actually enjoy it...spending the time fussing over the gun, examining and inspecting it and all.

I guess the important thing is caring about the weapon enough to spend the time doing a good job of cleaning it and paying attention to all detail.

Rat

Back