• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Clenzoil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Landngroove

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently heard of Clenzoil. It is a lubricant, and rust preventative. Has anyone used this in the bore of their muzzle loader, and what results you may have had.

I got some, haven't used it yet. Some of the centerfire crowd swears by it. I think its for real, but so's a lot of other stuff.

Regards, sse

I know some top notch shotgunners , rifle and pistol shooters at friendship that use that stuff. They swear by it. I'm having good luck with my cheap homemade cleaners and lubes, so I'll save my money for gunbuilding parts.

Clenzoil is excellent as a bore preserver/rust inhibitor. Good to wipe down interior and exterior metal parts with; barrel, lock, etc. I would rate is as #1, with Break-Free a very close #2 (of products personally used). :imo:

I've been using Clenzoil for over 35 years. My father and grandfather started me with Clenzoil in the 60's.
:thumbsup:

It is an excellent: lubricant, cleaner, rust proof, moisture displacer and preservative on wood. The best I've ever used and I've used a bunch.
It's also great at removing older gummy lubes from triggers, bearing surfaces and stocks.

Over the past 4 years and at recommendation of a friend at a USN testing facility, I started using Otis U-085 Ultra-Bore synthetic inside the bore of all of my rifles and pistols.

I still use Clenzoil everywhere outside the bore and everywhere on shotguns and will continue to do so.

Not knocking the natural lube's one bit for long term (+24hours) storage.
I think the natural lubes are just fine for your rifles, just not mine.

:winking: :m2c:

Natural Lubes=Great for patch//wad/conical lube.

Everything else=
http://www.clenzoil.com
http://www.otisgun.com

I have been using it in my guns for about 7 or 8 years now and it works great. After a full day of reeanacting my Charleville has quite the build up. I run some hot water through it, then use the Clenzoil to clean and oil it. I leave it on all the metal and it really helps to keep out the rust in the damp tents overnight. When I store all of my muzzleloaders at home they all get a coating of it- I cant recommend it enough.
:thumbsup:

Hey Jester,
Please elaborate your question a bit?

Do you mean mixing Clenzoil and other lubes with Bore Butter? (I would not)

Or, using synthetic or petroleum and natural lubes within the same barrel, but not at the same time? (Never a problem here)

You don't want to be using synthetics or petroleum based lubes for your shooting patches, wads or for conical bullets or for lubing your rifle in the field. This is where the more natural lubes really shine.
Otherwise the fouling with non-natural lubes gets real gummy, tar-like and tough as hell to field swab unless you use alcohol.

Tahquamenon

folks say you can't use "oils" in the barrel if you are seasoned with borebutter. Have you tried using borebutter as a patch lube?cleaner, followed by a oil coating in the barrel.

Does it foul an more or less?

I like borebutter, but don't find it to be very good at preventing rust

Jester

T - On your B/P rifle, if you use Clenzoil in the bore, I assume you thenmsut get it out of there before charging and shooting again. What method do you use to do that?

Thanks, sse

No I've never mixed natural and synthetic or petroleum oils. Oils are not good for a shooting lubricant because they become very tacky and tar-like in the barrel.

In the field and during shooting, I use the natural lubes in the bore for patches, wads and cleaning.

Here is my procedure to go shooting with one of my rifles that has Synthetic Oil in the bore as a preservative:

Swab 3-4 Isopropyl alcohol patches in the barrel to remove the oil followed by a couple of dry patches.
I don't store my rifles with the nipple installed, so at this time I'll take an alcohol soaked followed by a dry pipe cleaner or q-tips and clean the oil from the flash channel.
Then I'll take a lubed patch with bore butter and swab the bore.
Then a pipe cleaner or q-tip "lightly" lubed with bore butter and swab the flash channel. Not too much or you will create ignition problems.

Then, grease the threads on the nipple or breech plug and install.

Then go shooting. While in the field, I carry bore butter lubed patches along with alcohol soaked and dry ones for field cleaning.

After shooting and back at home, I'll remove and clean the nipple with alcohol and dry.

Then clean the bore with super hot & soapy water (dish or laundry soap with fine about a TBS/gallon of water) and pump flush.

With the barrel hot from washing, I use an alcohol patch and swab the barrel and set it aside to dry.

Every 150-200 shots I'll scrub the bore with a brush and Butch's Bore Shine, followed by a bore shine patch up and down a few strokes. Then re-wash and alcohol/dry swab.

Lastly, I'll liberally coat the inside of the bore and flash channel with Otis 085 UltraBore and wipe the entire outside of the barrel and stock with Clenzoil. I've used clenzoil in the bore for many years with great results and preservative and am trying the Otis UltraBore with excellent results for the past 4-5 years.

Then it's into the gun safe that has a golden rod heater installed along with a 750 gram Hydrosorbent Silica Gel Dehumidifier.

Been doing this procedure for well over 30 years and over 50 years if you count the time my grandfather and father used Clenzoil. I use Clenzoi and Otis on all of my firearms.

All of my grandfathers centerfire rifles and shotguns are still in excellent condition. Some of them are over 85 years old.

:m2c: :thumbsup:

T - Thanks for spelling that out. That's what I thought you did. I guess I would have the (perhaps misguided) concern about not getting out all that Clenzoil, or what have you, out of there, and then shooting and having a residue problem.

Thanks again, sse

Back