• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Close encounter with the Bucky kind..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had a pretty cool sit tonight. Went to one of my ambush sites and sat. For the most part it was pretty uneventful with just two grey squirrels arguing with each other from time to time. Temp was a comfortable 50 degrees. Wasn't until 4:30 I saw a flicker of a tail and soon out pops a button buck followed by his sister. I can see them out to 75ish yards at first sight and both walked right by at about 20 yards of me as they headed to the only White oak I know of in the area and just beyond that a big field they all dance in during the night. They had passed me before I saw Momma coming down the same trail. A really nice big Doe, shes nervous and takes a long time to creep down the trail. I slowly look down and check my prime, all is good...I'm getting a heavy deer smell in the nose now and feel good about Momma doin what I want her to do...bring those boys to me...she 3/4 to me now and I see another flicker behind her. Next thing I know a small 3 point comes darting in aways scaring the Doe off the trail and to the right in some brush. Almost as quick as he did that, he runs back from where he came from. Now I don't see anything and look down at my watch, its 4:45...takes a few minutes but Momma appears again and slowly works her way back to the trail and then down towards her two fawns. I can hear snapping of branches and deer crashing around where the 3 point disappeared. I see him finally coming followed by another same size forkhorn...they slowly work their way down the trail and now a much bigger bodied deer steps into view a big heavy necked 6 point nose to ground...I glance down at my watch and it says 5:01...dammit 3 minutes left. I could shoot either the 3 point or forkhorn right now, both easy shots but the one I want the one I'm there for, the one I'm looking at right now standing almost broad side as proud as a peacock at roughly 70 yards....is dang lucky I just cannot pick up my front sight...so I ended up sitting there another 20 minutes as it got darker and watched all three bucks walk right by me...ah well maybe tomorrow.

:)

:grin: Bless you Swampy!!! good story great hunt an tomorrows another day! damn! good fer you..! :thumbsup:

Another thing that really made my night...I swear I was looking at a young "Handsome" who is my avatar when I caught him in a pic in 2006 when he was a beautiful ten point. This big six most definitely has Handsome's DNA in him, no doubt about it. Just makes me smile to know that. :thumbsup:

I was driving home late Saturday night from the girlfriend's house and when I entered the turnoff to my street (I live in the middle of a town of 2,800) I see a big 12 pointer in somebody's yard staring at me. I think he was rutting hard because he even let me get out of my truck and walk towards at about 10 yards. It's pretty sad when I saw the biggest buck of the season in town :haha:

...And they told to set the clocks back.
Dang, if they would have left time alone, you'd have had a whole 'nother hour to do the deed!

Nice story Rich!

This is what I havta put up with in the woods. :haha:

Decided to find a spot further in to try to get a look at these deer with better light. The twins came along about 4:30, ended up walking right by me while I got them on video. I sat till dark but never saw Momma or any other deer tonight. Notice the grey squirrel, had to shoo him off my roll cage earlier! I parked about a foot from a tree and he crawled down it and jumped onto the top of the cage and started walking around it. :haha:

A bold Button buck and lil Sis....

A few more hours and you'll be seeing them again, in your dreams, over and over again. :rotf:

Good job Swampy. You know the true meaning of hunting. Bill

Nuffin this mornin....

Tonight the twins came through with Momma in tow at 4:40 and another deer a couple minutes behind them but it turned out to be another mature Doe...

By the way for those who can see the video, I did not use trained animals I swear! :haha: The end was perfect with the little Doe standing just right as the squirrel went up the tree. If she had taken just one more step she wouldn't have been in the frame. I originally thought they were nervous at me, something new sitting there but I don't think that was the case now. There was actually two squirrels there and I think the running around making some racket is why the deer were nervous...

Back