• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Clueless Illinois resident

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gametracker

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I don't get it. I just called Midsouth Shooters Supply, where I purchased a muzzleloader not three months ago, and inquired on one of their other guns. The woman asked what state I lived in, which is IL. She then said that as an Illinois resident, by law, I could not purchase the gun outside this state, FOID card or no FOID card. Did I miss something? That literally blew my mind. So I called Gander Mountain in Paducah, KY, which is just three miles from the IL state line, and asked if they knew of any new gun purchasing restrictions, order or over-the-counter, for IL residents. The fellow said absolutely not, especially on muzzleloaders, which are not considered a firearm, which of course I knew. what gives? Just a bad policy adopted by Midsouth or is this woman putting me on? :: :: ::

The only thing that I know of , as far as transfer of firearms to Illinois, is that it would have to go TO a FFL. The FOID card doesn't have any importance , outside of Illinois. It's our own burden to bear.

I saw the same thing on their website the other day. I haven't seen any kind of news about new laws (not that they would actually make some public announcement about it) but I would think that it would show up in the outdoor columns of some papers . I checked a couple of other sites (cabelas and bass pro). Cabelas still says check local laws if you live in Illinois and Bass has nothing special about illinois. The problem with websites is that sometimes they lag behind a little so I did a quick check of the state police web site but I don't see anything there. So far they (midsouth) seem to be alone in their ruling to not ship to illinois.

Thank the Home Rule policies here in the Peoples Republik of Illinois. That's what was explained to me about 2 or 3 years ago frmo Midsouth and a couple of other suppliers. Too many different and sometimes contradictory laws across the state so they just don't ship rather than try to comply with every county or city regulation.

Unfortunately Midsouth isn't the only supplier that's afraid of lawsuits, there are others that get talked about over in usenet rec.guns

On behalf of those of us who are NOT left-leaning gun grabbers without two braincells to rub together when it gets cold up here in Daley-Land, home of the Governor who COMMUTES at taxpayer expense, and CAUSE of the problem under discussion... :sorry:

vic

Daley-Land, home of the Governor who COMMUTES at taxpayer expense, and CAUSE of the problem under discussion...

How long will it be before we get a Governor from somewhere in Illlinois instead of from the state of Chicago?

I emailed MidSouth after I posted the other day and just got their answer.

Their reason is that they aren't able to " decide and keep up with all the local laws. Also as we read in the laws that all gun transfer must be done by a dealer who can verify the FOID holder and sell it using a 4473 form. Since we are mail order we can not do that. I am sorry for the inconvenience this causes but we must protect ourselves."
-----------------------------------------------------------
I found the State Police site has the following:
-------------------------------------------------------------
Do I need a valid FOID card for a muzzleloader or blackpowder gun?

Yes. In Illinois, muzzleloaders and blackpowder guns are considered firearms.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I don't like their answer but I can sure see how they arrived at it and I think they are probably right. If you dig around on the state police site, they have info on firearms and sales / local laws. It's pretty ugly!! I guess this is what happens when you live in a state controlled by a city and it's suburbs. ( no votes out in all that corn). So take care in what you order and plan on doing a lot in person (if you can find it in this state) and Stock up next month at Friendship!!!!!!!!!!!!
:curse:

Can't you folks seperate Chicago from the normal part of your state so you can have a reasonably decient lifestyle?

You have that one big freak show up there and 99% of your state is rural and basically has no crime rate!

They pre-empt federal law and the population allows it!

:front:

I thought maybe they could dig a moat around it and call it the "State of insanity" , maybe float it off into lake michigan and use it for target practice:youcrazy:

Can't you folks seperate Chicago from the normal part of your state so you can have a reasonably decient lifestyle?

You have that one big freak show up there and 99% of your state is rural and basically has no crime rate!

HEY!!!!! I live up in that freakshow. ::

It's not near as bad as it sounds. We have a governor from here who refuses to live in the capitol and commutes because his wife told him to (whipped? ya think so?). There's a State Rep who gets plenty of money for projects out of her district but can't find a dime for major transit bridge repairs. Of course, Da Mare of Shee-cahga and his personal dynasty of corrupt truckers. Eco-environmentalist boat owners who want a multi-million dollar study RE-DONE because they didn't like the way the first one turned out and they can't get their marina project approved.

Oh wait. Never mind. It is a much a freakshow as Mr Ghost said. Only problem is- even if Chicago seceeds from the rest of Illinois, who would have us? :( Wisconsin???? :crackup:

Can't wait for retirement and finding someplace warm, quiet, peaceful, and free.

vic

You want to talk about mailorder problems, trying living in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts! Neither Graf & Sons or Midway will ship reloading components here, even when informed that you hold an FID card. And Sportsman Guide in their shipping restrictions lumps residents of Massachusetts in with convicted felons!

Nuff Said!@

"Oh wait. Never mind. It is a much a freakshow as Mr Ghost said. Only problem is- even if Chicago seceeds from the rest of Illinois, who would have us? Wisconsin???? "

I'd vote to sell Chicago to Canada. :crackup:
Just 2 cents from down here in the corn fields. :crackup:

Their politics are almost the same. :crackup:

Back