• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CO Elk Draw is Posted!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, congrats on the draw now comes the wait good luck with that part and the hunt later

my brother drew his unit 85 cow tag for muzzy season. i did not and so it gave me a pref. point + a refund :cursing:

That's always a dissapointment! :( There's always leftovers to sort through and regular rifle season too. Myself, I prefer to hunt ml season but will pack my frontstuffer in any season if the mood strikes.

All five in our planned hunt drew including my Michigander cousin who got his statewide cow tag. This will be his first ml hunt. He bought an inline of some kind along with all the stuff needed to hunt within the CO regs. He's coming out in two weeks for a visit and I told him to bring all his ml stuff along so we can play while he's here. Thus will begin my subtle and insidious conversion from his in line to a real gun. :rotf: :rotf:

Sorry to hear you did not draw. You should have at least one point now. Your chances of drawing a bull next year are pretty good if you stick with statewide. Watch for the leftover lists for ml and the first elk only season. Doubt if you'll see a bull tag but a cow tag is only $250 (only :shocked2: ) and gets you out hunting. You are a ways away though!

GMBoy, I almost envy you your cow tags. Kinda wishing I'd put in for something impossible with ML cow the second choice! Oh well, maybe this is my year to kill a really good bull. Something I've not yet done!

Good luck to you

It's a cow tag for me too. I thought 2 points was gettin' close to a sure draw for a bull. Guess I was wrong.

Still looking forward to hunting at a great time of year.

Good luck all!!!

Greg

more than likely giving more out of staters the tags to cash in on them quick before everyones broke.

It's a cow tag for me too. I thought 2 points was gettin' close to a sure draw for a bull. Guess I was wrong.

Depends on what you are going for. If you're after a single hard to draw unit, some of them can take 8 or more points. Statewide, otoh, should come to you with one point. Maybe take two. There's a way to figure it out. It's posted on the dow site.

It was a state wide tag! I was floored. I thought 2 points was just about a sure thing.

Now I'll be a cow killer.

Yes, I got a "second choice" cow tag.

Got on the state web site today. They must have changed allocations this year. Stats show 9900 applicants for 3500 tags.

They also state that the minimum points required for a non res. state wide bull tag is now 2.

Like I said . . I'm a cow killer.

Greg

Got on the state web site today. They must have changed allocations this year. Stats show 9900 applicants for 3500 tags.

Yeah, the word I'd gotten from the state assoc wildlife rep was that allocations would be reduced. once that happens it also brings the max percentage of tags allowed to nonres into play. I think max percentage is 40%, so to see what the real odds are take 40% of the number of statewide bull tags allocated and then compare with how many non res applied for statewide bull. I can see how it would take 2 points. On top of that, having two points is no guarantee cause the way they figure it is if only one applicant with two points was able to draw then "it takes two points". Regardless of the fact that a whole bunch of guys with two points did not draw. :shocked2:

It's a regular excercise in probabilities to figure your real odds, and even then you only have last years numbers to go by.

Enjoy eating that cow though! :)

Well, I drew a bull tag this year with 1 preference point. Last year, no elk tag, not even a cow. First time in 10 years I didn't draw any kind of elk tag. The year before that, a bull tag with 1 preference point. I did draw a buck deer tag last year, they usually take me 3-4 preference points, as did this one. Drew a "Ranching For Wildlife" doe antelope, also, on the 3-Forks Ranch in NW Colorado. This is a rifle season, but I am going to ask if I can use my flintlock. If not, I'll tune up the .270 or use one of my C&R rifles. Last year I took a cow with a leftover private land cow tag and a scoped Swiss K-31.

Both me and my nephew got skunked for a muley buck tag although we got a point. We will be checking on the leftovers when the list comes out. Might try to get an over the counter cow tag for archery but I would rather go with a muzzleloader. I just bought a used TVM virginia that I was wanting to take out there. Good luck to everyone who drew a tag. Dew

Back