• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cold weather brute!!! Pics to follow.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A perfect plan producing a perfect product! :thumbsup: Congratulations on the that deer! :hatsoff:

Congrats SC :thumbsup: That's a great story and a deer of a lifetime. :hatsoff: Ya think he's been eatin'some corn these past few years? :shocked2:

Thanks for all the atta-boys guys. I'm sure he ate plenty of corn last year,but, the nearest corn this year was 3 miles away.

I'm sure he has ate all the White Oak acorns he cared for this year. The woods I hunt is full of mature White Oaks and the mast crop is as heavy as I have seen before. Made for an interesting early season as the deer seemed to travel "willy-nilly", with nuts covering the forest floor.

I went to my traditional archery league shoot tonight and the owner of the bow shop asked if he could measure the rack. I let him and it scored 152 and 4/8" as a main frame 8. All in attendance agreed that it's a whopper.

Sincerely, the measurement means little to me. What means so much is the hunt! I'll not soon forget him in the early morning following his doe as she tested the wind returning to her bedding on a super frosty day within range of me and my little Seneca.

That is what I see when I close my eyes.

Best of luck guys, Skychief.

Congrats that is a beauty for shure ,you should be mighty proud ,I killed a buck with my longbow nov 1 waiting fr Ohio gun season to take a doe with my flinter.
God bless

Skychief said:
it scored 152 and 4/8" as a main frame 8. All in attendance agreed that it's a whopper.

A 135 8 pt is a whopper. A 150+ is a true giant! Congrats again.

I agree with you regarding scores. Scores to me only allow me to get a vision in my head if I haven't seen the animal since point counts can be the same on a yearling or a 6 1/2 year old and yet be drastically different in size.

I once had a guy tell me that scores degrade a buck. Only people can degrade a buck as in when they say something stupid to some other hunter like "you shot that little thing?" A score is just a descriptive statistic and says nothing of the quality or difficulty of the hunt, the ethics of the hunter, or the value of the animal to the hunter.

Spikebuck said:
Skychief said:
it scored 152 and 4/8" as a main frame 8. All in attendance agreed that it's a whopper.

A 135 8 pt is a whopper. A 150+ is a true giant! Congrats again.

I agree with you regarding scores. Scores to me only allow me to get a vision in my head if I haven't seen the animal since point counts can be the same on a yearling or a 6 1/2 year old and yet be drastically different in size.

I once had a guy tell me that scores degrade a buck. Only people can degrade a buck as in when they say something stupid to some other hunter like "you shot that little thing?" A score is just a descriptive statistic and says nothing of the quality or difficulty of the hunt, the ethics of the hunter, or the value of the animal to the hunter.

Well said Spikebuck, I agree.

Deputy Dog said:
Nicely done Skychief! A monster of a corn fed buck and with a classic rifle........Robin :wink:

Thanks Deputy Dog. I kind of think of the older T/C's as becoming "classic" in nature too.

While I have several muzzleloader suited to deer hunting, including some fancy customs, I just had to use the little Seneca for the first time this year.

For turkey hunting, I never hesitate to grab my T/C New Englander. It hasn't been made for years either.

I wonder when most would agree that a certain mass-produced, yet no longer produced muzzleloader should earn the title of "Classic"?

I'll not let loose of either aforementioned muzzleloaders any time soon. But, are they Classics yet? :idunno:

Best regard, Skychief.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only have two things to say, he would be a brute in warm weather also and the only way it could be better is if you had used your trad bow on him.

Back