• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colorado big game cutoff is 4/4/2017

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used to like to hunt in Colorado, but the process of figuring which season is open where, and how long, zone boundaries, applying, drawing, etc, has gotten so convoluted for non-residents that I gave it up years ago.

So now I just go out there once in a while and hike, camp, and take pictures;
Which is what the Western State game departments would rather we all do anyway.

Same here in Missouri.
BTW, Hi Sean.

Haven't seen any of your posts for a while, and wondered if you were still okay.

smoothshooter said:
BTW, Hi Sean.

Haven't seen any of your posts for a while, and wondered if you were still okay.

:grin: hi back! You know my dog Buddy passed away a year ago May 5th and I just can't seem to actually get out and camp or small game hunt :idunno: it's damn silly but I have had my camping gear ready to go 5 or 6 times and not gone at all, I got out and shot a few rabbits one morning right at the end of the season, so there is some hope I we pull myself out of this funk :v:

I agree...Colorado used to be the best state for the non-resident deer and elk hunter...but no longer is.

Started elk hunting in CO in 1985 and the license was $200 and presently is close to $700....which is more than the entire self hunt trip was in 1985. Non-residents nearly pay for Colorado's entire game programs and the CO Div. of Wildlife is oblivious to the fact that some day many non-resident hunters will no longer choose to be taken. I personally know of 6 guys who no longer will hunt CO after the last season. Too bad....Fred

My wife had exactly the same points I had and my hunting partner was close, she got only her elk, he got only his bear, while I drew a full house, bear, deer, elk, and Antelope :idunno: I never heard the word luck mixed with so many four letter words as when I told my hunting Partner about winning the lottery on Antelope and getting my tag 6 or 7 years early :haha: He may have dipped into Greek or Aromatic for some of those curse words :rotf:

Had a buddy years back got trophy mule deer, trophy elk, buffalo, big horn and antelope same year :idunno:

All but the antelope yer chances are near 2-3% or drawing and maybe 10% for the goat.

I have no desire for the sheep but have enough points for my buffalo now (when the boat gets back in port ya know). Deer n elk....I am a meat hunter and but in for high draw success units and shoot spikes n cows n such :grin: Was putting in for a goat tag (I like the meat) but AZGFD robbed me of all my points when I didnt put in one year and I have yet to do battle. Dont care enough really. I can go back of walmart in WY where my hateful sister used to live and shoot a goat if the itch is bad (thats where her buddies husbands went :surrender: )

I got my first choice elk tag after too many years of not drawing. I'm waiting to hear from my buddy about his.
385gr. 50 ca.l Hornady great plains in front of about 90gr. FFFg Olde Eynsford should do the job, if I do mine. Fine tuning of load development starts after work today!

You might want to just leave The back sight loose, we have had 3-4 weeks of Wyoming type Wind here in western Colorado. 15-30 mph and changing directions 3 or 4 times each day! I have really been wanting to make smoke but this wind is damnable. :(

Sandan027 said:
I got my first choice elk tag after too many years of not drawing. I'm waiting to hear from my buddy about his.
385gr. 50 ca.l Hornady great plains in front of about 90gr. FFFg Olde Eynsford should do the job, if I do mine. Fine tuning of load development starts after work today!

Killed many elk with that load (minus 10 gr). Then I got a .54 n a .58 etc. They will put em down with the .50 though. No elk for me....just put in for deer muzzleloader hunts). Be bout 5-6 weeks till we see if we get to hunt. Congrats! :thumbsup:

I was going to restart at 75 grains. Last I remember and I'd love to find my notes, 80 was just about right, I'll go to 90 and re-do it again then write it down with indelible ink.
my bud and I put in for deer but didn't draw tags.
Good luck!

flehto said:
I personally know of 6 guys who no longer will hunt CO after the last season. Too bad....Fred

I'm glad, not that your guys are not coming but that the knuckle heads from NY, LA .... who don't know the difference between elk, moose, horses and mules :cursing: less of them the safer it is for all.
The fun disappears when you feel like a target.

When I lived a little further North, in Indiana, I had a friend with a farm that bordered the Winamac wildlife area. Each fall we would use whitewash to write, "COW", on the sides of his cattle. Some of the hammer knockers from Chicago that had never seen a deer or a cow, couldn't tell the difference. Keep yer powder dry......robin :hmm:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bear, deer, elk , antelope will be keeping me busy this fall. Planning on August 24 to Sept 30 in the woods. Need a camp slave.

Back