• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colorado big game cutoff is 4/4/2017

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like I'll be in the mountains in Sept. I was surprised I drew a cow elk tag second choice. I applied for a preference point first choice.

I drew both deer and elk for archery season but no muzzleloader tags. Mr.Hill and I will get a work out. Sean please get in touch with me. If nothing else than to burn some powder at the new Palisade range. Id like to talk antelope with you.

Myself and some hunting buddies used to hunt in CO as well.
Between the out-of-state tag price increases, increased complexity in the " you can hunt here on these days in these game management areas, but not these, except during the third moon phase, and only then if it falls on a Saturday in a Leap Year, and you can't hunt in these 4 WMA's except for the one that bisects them partially on the northeast side of the southern boundary . . . . ", you get my drift. And don't get me started on " first time refusal, second time refusal, points, etc. on drawings.
We came to the conclusion that the CO Game Departments like our money, but would prefer that we didn't actually hunt, and so stopped going there to big game hunt.

I know many others who have done the same thing.

Still like to go there, but only to camp and take pictures, maybe small-game hunt a little.

smoothshooter said:
Myself and some hunting buddies used to hunt in CO as well.
Between the out-of-state tag price increases, increased complexity in the " you can hunt here on these days in these game management areas, but not these, except during the third moon phase, and only then if it falls on a Saturday in a Leap Year, and you can't hunt in these 4 WMA's except for the one that bisects them partially on the northeast side of the southern boundary . . . . ", you get my drift. And don't get me started on " first time refusal, second time refusal, points, etc. on drawings.
We came to the conclusion that the CO Game Departments like our money, but would prefer that we didn't actually hunt, and so stopped going there to big game hunt.

I know many others who have done the same thing.

Still like to go there, but only to camp and take pictures, maybe small-game hunt a little.

Things have gone downhill since game and fish merged with parks and rec. One of the parks dept minions was out "patrolling", evidently with no education on the proper way to approach someone's hunting camp. The idiot decided to sneak into the backside of our camp. He almost got his ass shot. He really didn't like being faced with a wall of guns pointed at him.

At any rate, the whole process sucks.

I heard that Back in the day a game warden stopped a young farm boy loading a mule, the boy 15-16 explained that his dad Blain Attwood ( brother to the famous cougar hunter Cap Attwood) was guiding hunters and the boy was bringing in fresh milk bread & eggs. The game warden said the boy was a guide and that he would be arrested because he didn't have a guide's license. :( So the warden showed up at the camp with a crying young man and an attitude & left without a gun or badge. The next day Blain stopped by the DOW office gave them the gun and badge and suggested that the officer in question needed growing up before getting them back.

Well I was drawn for muzzle loader deer SOMEWHERE :grin: They took my money but be a few days before the post the hunt. I applied only muzzleoader in Unit 9 (mid Nov....supposed to be a trophy hunt....last year they had not herded up at that time, actually a week earlier). Or 6B. I almost always get 6B, lotta lil spikes n two pints. I hope for 9 even though its further away. I have not killed a toad in what....22 years? Course I always have shot the first legal deer that is dumber than me :surrender:

Back