• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colorado Skinners?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strawstalker/NM

Strawstalker CO & NM
Reaction score
Hello The Camp - Just moved from NM to Grand Junction, CO. Looking for any black powder clubs & rendezvous in the western slope area or eastern Utah. Thanks, Dan Bromley

Welcome to Western Colo. I'm 10 mi. west of you. Just started BP shootin and stuff. I really enjoy it and this great forum. Have learned a bunch here. Don't know of any clubs or rondy's in this area. The Colo. Muzzel Loaders Assn. just had their big get together over in Castle Rock a couple weeks ago. Mac.

Howdy, and welcome! Kick off the season Memorial Day Weekend with the "Uncompahgre Free Trappers". It's called the "Happy Canyon Rendezvous" out of Montrose Co. It's always a good time despite being a bit early in the high country spring. There will be a shoot for rifle and smoothbore, knife and hawk and primitive archery. Modern and primitive camps. Bring your own water and warm clothing and bed rolls. It often gets below freezing at night, rain and snow are common and "everyone knows it's windy".
There'll be a talent show, a couple of saloons, and a potluck dinner which makes mighty fine eatin' because the ladies get a bit competitive with their best food, and so do a few guys. I'd guess maybe 50-75 camps but that's just my guess, and a few traders. Sometimes there is a food vendor but don't count on it. The road in is a bit rough, slow but generally drivable with 2 wheel drive.
I hope to see ya there, unless you're a good shot, in which case take pity on a shaky old man. :haha:
For more info you can contact Woodman. [email protected]
That's one of five Colorado Rendezvous I do ever year. The others are Bayou Salado, Crested Butte and Como, then finish up the season at Bell's Fort on Labor Day Weekend. Just make it to Happy Canyon and you'll learn about the others.

Strawstalker/NM said:
Hello The Camp - Just moved from NM to Grand Junction, CO. Looking for any black powder clubs & rendezvous in the western slope area or eastern Utah. Thanks, Dan Bromley

I have to go to the CO springs shoots to compete in the winter.
If yall are interested I woulden't mind starting a club a little closer.
We have a kick butt range here in Gunnison.
And like yotie Joe said don't miss Happy canyon.

Joe - Thanks for the reply. I will go to happy canyon and look you up. Do they do a mountain man run at any of these rendezvous? What town do you live in. Thanks, Dan Bromley

All - Thanks for all three replys. I will for sure make Happy Canyon @ contact woodman for more details. Do you know any of the dates for the other rendezvous ? Thanks, Dan

David - Give me a call sometime and maybe we can get together and shoot. Just getting my loading bench setup now and will be ready to let round balls fly in about a week. Thanks, Dan Bromley (970-241-0787)

Strawstalker/NM said:
Joe - Thanks for the reply. I will go to happy canyon and look you up. Do they do a mountain man run at any of these rendezvous? What town do you live in. Thanks, Dan Bromley
TOWN? I've been to a town Del. I live in the Copper Gulch area, between Texas Creek and Westcliff, near the Royal Gorge which is the site of the "Bell's Fort" rendezvous on Labor Day weekend. The next event after Happy Camp is "Bayou Salado", the last weekend of July, contact "The Perfesser" at [email protected].
First weekend of August is Crested Butte, a really beautiful site at about 10,000 feet elevation. That is the same weekend as Crested Butte's "festival of the arts", which brings in quite a few tourists. Contact Rat or Cheryl at 970 349-1416.
Como is in mid August, you can contact Preacher at [email protected]
These are all rowdy rendezvous. Rules? We don't need no stinkin' rules!
Both Happy Camp and Bell's Fort have mountainman runs of some sort. All have shoots of some sort, generally set up as a trail walk. Some shoots are open all day and you can go through in small groups, others have a one time, "be there or forget it" shoot schedule.

Oh, and I forgot to mention "College of the Rockies" August 1-8. It's considered a "teaching rendezvous", they have classes on how to tune your flintlock, beading, finger weaving, pretty much anything at all related to the rendezvous era. I forgot to mention it because it seems more like a trade fair to my way of thinking. Nearly everyone there is a trader of some sort. It's a good place to go shopping but just not the rowdy, hell raisin' time I associate with Rendezvous. :grin:

I agree - I don't think I need anything at the college. Ever go to Creede rendezvous? I went to Iron Post knife throw about four times - 3rd one year and won it one year. I know Iron Post, Rattler, Log Chain, Timber and a few other folks around Creede. I see them at "Raton" every June. Strawstalker

Latest posts

Back