• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Comer's Gunworks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smokey Plainsman asked for some photos of some of my defarb work. Here are some of a Euroarms 2 band Enfield and a Pedersoli Brown Bess that I just finished and sent back home. You can find others in the photo section of my Facebook page. Notice that the Greise markings have been removed from the lock plate and replaced with an engraved Tower.

Attachments

• IMG_20240805_145842786.jpg
    IMG_20240805_145842786.jpg
    813.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240805_145848311.jpg
    IMG_20240805_145848311.jpg
    741.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240805_145926096.jpg
    IMG_20240805_145926096.jpg
    796.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240805_145937027.jpg
    IMG_20240805_145937027.jpg
    793.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240805_145952784.jpg
    IMG_20240805_145952784.jpg
    924.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240805_224910539.jpg
    IMG_20240805_224910539.jpg
    791.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240805_224928680.jpg
    IMG_20240805_224928680.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240805_225001021.jpg
    IMG_20240805_225001021.jpg
    951.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240805_225029600.jpg
    IMG_20240805_225029600.jpg
    930.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240805_225054279.jpg
    IMG_20240805_225054279.jpg
    826.5 KB · Views: 0
Smokey Plainsman asked for some photos of some of my defarb work. Here are some of a Euroarms 2 band Enfield and a Pedersoli Brown Bess that I just finished and sent back home. You can find others in the photo section of my Facebook page. Notice that the Greise markings have been removed from the lock plate and replaced with an engraved Tower.
What finish do you use on the stocks?

Michael Defarbed a Remington Pocket revolver for me a good while back, to help prepare it for nickel plating.
I was very pleased. All markings and script were removed from the barrel flats, with no gouges nor low spots and
the edges of the octagon barrel remained crisp and not rounded.

I do have to ask that since you defarbed the P53 and Bess, why didn’t you square the little wings on the lock screw escutcheons and remove the LA Co markings? And you forgot the lock panels on the Bess.

Last edited:
I do have to ask that since you defarbed the P53 and Bess, why didn’t you square the little wings on the lock screw escutcheons and remove the LA Co markings? And you forgot the lock panels on the Bess.
Hello Clark, It has that particular look because I defarbed it as a London Armoury gun. They were different than the Birmingham guns. If you'll notice I took the lines off the plate and the hammer. London guns did not have these. I took the "London Armoury" stamp off the plate that Euroarms put there. That L.A. Co over the year is an accurate stamp. From what I have read, the round eared escutcheons could be found on London guns as could the square ones and you could also find both types of barrel bands. The Baddeley bands were not standard until sometime in 1862. If a customer wants the square eared screw escutcheons on a London, I'll gladly put them on. So, that's why it looks like it did. It also has the London barrel proofs and is marked L.A.C. on the top of the barrel. I'm not sure what you refer to by forgetting the lock panels on the Bess. I assume you mean the little ears on the end? Once again, my understanding is that the flat panel did not come into the Bess design until after 1775. I figure most guys doing Rev War would have impressions before that but, if I'm in error and they should be gone, then I'd be glad to change that.

Hello Clark, It has that particular look because I defarbed it as a London Armoury gun. They were different than the Birmingham guns. If you'll notice I took the lines off the plate and the hammer. London guns did not have these. I took the "London Armoury" stamp off the plate that Euroarms put there. That L.A. Co over the year is an accurate stamp. From what I have read, the round eared escutcheons could be found on London guns as could the square ones and you could also find both types of barrel bands. The Baddeley bands were not standard until sometime in 1862. If a customer wants the square eared ones on a London, I'll gladly put them on. So, that's why it looks like it did. It also has the London barrel proofs and is marked L.A.C. on the top of the barrel. I'm not sure what you refer to by forgetting the lock panels on the Bess. I assume you mean the little ears on the end? Once again, my understanding is that the flat panel did not come into the Bess design until after 1775. If I'm in error and they should be gone, then I'd be glad to change that.
Yes, I know very well about the P53 Enfield. So what did you specifically choose a London gun when somewhere in the neighborhood of 80% of the P.53s brought over were BSAT guns and most London guns were private makes with names on the plates?

And on Besses, the lock panels were always thin and all models.

Yes, I know very well about the P53 Enfield. So what did you specifically choose a London gun when somewhere in the neighborhood of 80% of the P.53s brought over were BSAT guns and most London guns were private makes with names on the plates?

And on Besses, the lock panels were always thin and all models.
I only do that on old Euroarms guns because of the bands primarily. Simple answer is cost. Most folks don't want to buy a set of bands to make it a Birmingham. If a customer says put the Baddley bands on and make it a Birmingham, that's what I do. I also do them as a Potts and Hunt if that is what is wanted. If 80% of about 300,000 weapons were Birminghams, that leaves 20% that were not which is about 60,000. Not an insignificant number. And, even though they were certainly in the minority, there were London Armory guns over here. So, there you go. That's why I do what I do. I provide a service and that is directed by what my customer tells me they want. I try to provide the best product that I can according to my ability and knowledge. but I'm more than open to constructive criticism and am willing to change how I do things to make a better product, which I have indeed done over the years.

I'll do some more research on the Bess and adjust my work to what photos show me.

I only do that on old Euroarms guns because of the bands primarily. Simple answer is cost. Most folks don't want to buy a set of bands to make it a Birmingham. If a customer says put the Baddley bands on and make it a Birmingham, that's what I do. I also do them as a Potts and Hunt if that is what is wanted. If 80% of about 300,000 weapons were Birminghams, that leaves 20% that were not which is about 60,000. Not an insignificant number. And, even though they were certainly in the minority, there were London Armory guns over here. So, there you go. That's why I do what I do. I provide a service and that is directed by what my customer tells me they want. I try to provide the best product that I can according to my ability and knowledge. but I'm more than open to constructive criticism and am willing to change how I do things to make a better product, which I have indeed done over the years.

I'll do some more research on the Bess and adjust my work to what photos show me.
Those Baddely bands can be corrected. We were doing that back in the early 90s.

Eric Goldstein has a good book on the Brown Bess with lots of detailed photos both assembled and disassembled.

Nope. What specifically happened? There have been problems if you go there from a Google link. Best to type the address directly. Let me know if you continue to have trouble and I'll let the host know.

Nope. What specifically happened? There have been problems if you go there from a Google link. Best to type the address directly. Let me know if you continue to have trouble and I'll let the host know.
Thanks Mike, I had connected via Google and now have a direct link. I was able to complete my order, create an account with the direct link. Thanks again. Google is my browser.

Sounds good. Thanks for your business.
Seems like I spoke too soon. Once I use the "reset password" option I am ALWAYS signed in and there is no option to sign out or update my account nor see what I have purchased and its status is. When I do a direct link to the site I am automatically logged in. Not what I would call a secure feature. And my attempts to login via the site are rejected - invalid password. Definitely a programming issue with the login process.

Back