• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Competition Gun Advice Wanted

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soinkuhndog

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've just recently entered the BP hobby and have been enjoying some shooting events with my father's old CVA .45 Rifle.

Now I'm thinking of expanding and getting in the 25 yard pistol shoots. Any advice on a pistol? I understand that you can only load one ball at a time, so a revolver isn't necessary -- unless they're just that much more accurate.

Any other advice or reading material suggestions on learning to best shoot would also be helpful.

Thanks.

I don't have any advice on competition handguns, but I do have a suggestion on a book about bp handguns that would be a great overall view: Percussion Pistols and Revolvers, History, Performance and Practical Use by Mike Cumpston and Johnny Bates. Available at Amazon.com and other places I'm sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Without knowing what your budget is, it's kind of hard to recommend a specific pistol.

You might look at www.davidepedersoli as they make quite a few target pistols.

Buy a pistol at the top end of your budget, it will save money by not having to upgrade later.

RDE

the tightest shooting,repeatable time and again pistol for 25 to 35 yards that I have shot is a William Parker by traditions. Not saying its the best, but for three years I have had great success, lots of wins on the trail and in monthly aggregate scores. And I use what most would consider a very light load.
Main thing for me is that the results are repeatable, when I do my part!

All great advice. Thanks.

I did try a New Army Revolver, but couldn't hit the side of a barn. And, since there was no "backstop," I couldn't tell which direction I was missing off the board.

I was thinking staying with .45 since that's my rifle, but? Budget is probably $300 - $400. It would be nice to purchase something used for best value.

I'll look the book up that was suggested.

I'm having great luck with a .50 caliber Traditions Trapper.Trouble being, I don't think they make it in .45 any more. I do know where there is a .45 for sale. If you'd like more info, PM me, and I can set you up.
I also shoot a Ruger Old Army, which isn't made any more, but there's lots available on the used market. They shoot very good also.

A pistol would be a good choice for target shooting. Pistols are inherently more accurate by design than a revolver. The rest would be up to you.:hmm:

I forgot to mention, if you can find one, Thompson Center made their Patriot pistol in .45 cal. They are fine pistols and you cannot beat the warranty. They are no longer being made, but they are out there.

R.M. said:
I'm having great luck with a .50 caliber Traditions Trapper.Trouble being, I don't think they make it in .45 any more. I do know where there is a .45 for sale. If you'd like more info, PM me, and I can set you up.
I also shoot a Ruger Old Army, which isn't made any more, but there's lots available on the used market. They shoot very good also.

I think I know the one youspeak of!

.45's were common everywhere other than here in the states.
A trapper in .45 would be a god! my .50 is a tack driver also.

but the biggest key to good shooting is... shooter disipline. gotta have it!

This might sound CRAZY! I shoot revolvers right along side the League Chairman at our Club's monthly black powder shoot. Using a strong-hand only "duelist" hold, I saw him put two .454 Hornady balls through the bullseye of an NRA BP Qualification target at 50 yards! The bull is the size of a quarter! He was using a 1860 Army Colt by Uberti, with 20 grains of 3Fg Goex. His aggregate score for the 25 and 50 yard targets was 160x200, shot strong-hand only!

Sometimes knowing your gun and being disciplined outweigh the revolver vs. wheelgun :bull: .

I don't own a single-shot pistol. All of my wheelguns are "out-of-the-box". I compete against 'em, and usually place in the top three positions, often in first place, with a 4.5 pound Walker, shot strong-hand only. 50 grains of 3Fg, a wonder-wad and a .454 Hornady ball...lots of SMOKE & FIRE!

Dave

Back to the OP...

A single-shot pistol will outshoot a revolver. Although the difference is quite small with high-quality guns. But in the price range you are talking about, the difference will be noticable. You can get away with testing a revolver and picking the chamber that produces the best groups, then shooting that only - if the rules let you. N-SSA rules do, I think NMLRA rules do, MLAIC rules specifically do not.

In the price range you are talking about, probably your best bet is going to be a Pedersoli LePage or Mang pistol.

I found the Mang accurate enough, but too muzzle-heavy to be shot well. I'd shoot 10, 9, 10, 9, 9, 8, 9....with the point of impact slowly drooping. Got a Hege-Siber and shot as well with my first target as the Mang had ever done in my hand.

Right now, I'm shooting a Baumkircher underhammer as my #1 replica. Very accurate, and the trigger is nothing short of fantastic. It puts my Hammerli 208 to shame.

:bow: Mike, then there is something awfully wrong with your 208. My 208s has a superb trigger and has kept me in Expert class bordering on Low Master for several years now. :hmm:

with the price range, I would still look at the traditions Trapper and even more so, the Wm. Parker!

I do know of a gent who has or had recently for sale, a trapper in .45.

PM me if you like and I can point you in his direction.

+ 1 on the TC Patriot. I've won several ribbons with one (a .45). Also, have shot a Ruger Old Army in competition, but much prefer the TC. TC hasn't made the Patriot for several years, but as Doubledeuce1 mentioned, they are out there - you just have to do some looking. They frequently pop-up on the auction boards. In most matches I've seen, the winners are shooting the TC Patriot.

Mike, then there is something awfully wrong with your 208. My 208s has a superb trigger and has kept me in Expert class bordering on Low Master for several years now.

Nope. My 208S works fine. The trigger is great. But Andy Baumkircher does a trigger that is close to perfection as I ever expect a mechanical trigger to get. People talk about "glass-rod crisp", but Baumkircher DID it. I don't think you could get a trigger on a self-loading firearm to duplicate it without going to electronics.

Two pistols come to mind in your price range.

Ingrham underhamer, can be had in 36, 40 or 45. I am partial to his pistols. Let me know if you want Wade Ingrham's e-mail.

Ten Ring, 45 cal. and a very well made pistol. I bought a pair, flint and percussion. They are the most solid built pistols that I have seen. Ten Ring's are no longer made but the maker is still making working on them.

RDE

I have to second the recommendations on the T/C Patriot and Traditions Trapper. I have both and they are quite accurate guns for the price. The T/C seems to be a little more accurate, but the Trapper has a better trigger and while it's not as comfortable to hold, the extra weight forward sure makes it stable. I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite.

Back