• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Completed Hawkens rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bioprof

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Other than a few minor touchups, I am basically done with the Hawkens rifle that I have been working on since April. This one took over twice as long to build as my first which was a Vincent halfstock. This one was built from TOW parts. I got the stock for half price and the barrel was a Rice that was on closeout. I used undiluted aqua fortis for the stain on the rifle and the ramrod and finished it with Tru-oil. Too bad the lock side of the butt isn't figured like the rest of the stock. Maybe that's why it was so inexpensive. It looks like the butt has some heartwood and the rest is sapwood, or maybe it's the other way around. I still need to knock down the gloss with pumice or steel wool. Made a lot of mistakes, but I'm still proud of it. Don't know if I will ever build a Hawkens again. It seems like a fullstock longrifle would be a lot easier. I've already started my next build, a Bedford longrifle. Looking forward to trying decorative carving.

Hawkensfinishedcombside.jpg
Hawkensfinishedlockside.jpg

BTW, I found that pouring a pewter forend cap is a lot easier than installing a steel cap like the one on this rifle.

Nice looking piece!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM can I have it? :grin:

DwarvenChef said:
That is one "purdy" rifle! I really like the way the stain is patchy on the lock side, gives it a well used and cared for feel to it.
That wasn't done intentionally. It was just the way wood was when it was stained. It does kind of give it an "aged" look though. Maybe I should pull it with a rope behind my pickup to "antique" the rest of the rifle. Right........... :rotf:

BP,

I have a rifle that I stained with aquafortis and it also has a strange area without curl where it seems that there should be curl. After some study, I determined that I may have caused this problem from my own handling of the gun before staining. I believe that the oils from my handling prevented the cells from accepting the staining effect.

I have been given some possible means of preventing this, but wanted to ask how others do this.

CS

Sweeet !.....I keep threating to build one, But just havent done it yet, except for my GPR kit.

Very nice. I like it a lot. You did a nice job on it and worth the effort.

bioprof, it would seem we have similar tastes. I am now building a Bedford and have just picked up the rest of the hardware to build a Vincent. The Hawkins looks great :thumbsup: .

Nice looking gun! :hatsoff: I can't see anywhere were you could have made improvements. It's perfect just the way it is. I really like the collor, great job.

That's one of the fun things about building rifles is the personality of wood. This Hawken has a lot of personality. I like the fact that it has no stripe in the butt on the off side. Real nice piece of work. If it shoots as good as it looks you have a winner.
:hatsoff:
Don

Nice job, Bioprof..
Ya done yerself proud.. :bow: :bow: :bow:
Right smart lookin' smokepole !!! :hatsoff: :hatsoff:
Winter well lads; and look good..
Limpin'frog :snore: :haha: :snore:
" Gee; that looked like it hurt !!! "

You ought to be really very proud guy, wish I had will power to put the time in with out cutting a corner so I dont try, you got a great rifle made by yourself . Fred

Fine Fine looking rifle! :hatsoff:

We must be thinkig along the same lines as my first build was a Vincent and then my Bridger Hawken from TOTW too. And funny as it may sound I would like to build a Bedford too next! :thumbsup:

Nice work

rabbit03

I am no longer in possession of this rifle as I gave it to my dad for his 70th birthday. He's a Weatherby man, and I'm trying to get him interested in blackpowder hunting. Maybe I'll make him a powderhorn for Christmas. :grin: Unfortunately, it is getting more and more difficult to buy genuine black powder in Oregon.

Back