• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Coning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably depends on the quality of the work. I've never coned or had it done. I do rework the crown on all my barrels and find the idea of coning intriguing but don't want to risk doing it.
I’m in agreement with LC here. Most of my guns have conventional crowns. I own two that are coned. One that was done by Getz barrel co. One done by me useing a lathe and four jaw chuck with a carefully ground boring tool. All my guns shoot as good as conditions and my eyesight allow. I still use a short starter as I like to use prelubed seated ball blocks and paper cartridges of powder for hunting. BJH

Here's a group I shot one weekend offhand @ 30-yards to win the smallest group contest. In the highest score contest, all my shots were in the X-ring in the bullseye. Never missed all day, also went 15 for 15 on the woodswalk with novelty targets out to 80-yards, having used the Joe Wood tool on my 50-cal left-handed Issac Haines flint longrifle.

Yeah ... coning doesn't hurt accuracy one bit ...

7F1C0A46-B878-4BBC-88F8-27EDC5F54A92.jpeg

So the reason to cone is easier loading. Guess what? Loading a muzzleloader is not as fast as a semi auto loads itself, BECAUSE IT IS A MUZZLELOADER. Not supposed to be fast. I'd need proof that coning was done in the 18th century before I'd consider it. Is coning not another modern crutch? Like plastic speed loaders? Scopes? In-lines? Recoil pads? Cartridges? Stainless barrels? Fiber optic sights? Synthetic stocks? Etc, etc.
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/b8db3c95-29d0-42f7-a224-6b170dbb0107

Just for the sake of argument, let's see some documentation that the early hunters, explorers, or pioneers carried a short starter with them. I don't recall seeing them in paintings of the period equipment or reading about their use. Target shooters excluded.
They did not use them.

Here's a group I shot one weekend offhand @ 30-yards to win the smallest group contest. In the highest score contest, all my shots were in the X-ring in the bullseye. Never missed all day, also went 15 for 15 on the woodswalk with novelty targets out to 80-yards, having used the Joe Wood tool on my 50-cal left-handed Issac Haines flint longrifle.

Yeah ... coning doesn't hurt accuracy one bit ...

View attachment 262516
dang thats a good group

The British Pattern 1776 rifle was ordered with a coned barrel . From De Witt Bailey's book "British Military Flintlock Rifles: pages 199-200 " Lands .630" Grooves .650" The muzzle is relieved for about 1" with .690 grooves and .650" lands .
The fact that the Military ordered these rifles with coned or relieved barrels shows that the concept was in use and well proven by 1776

Just finished coning my little Pedersoli Frontier in .36 caliber. I made myself a coning tool from a dowel that I angled using a drill and a flat sandpaper and then slowly sanding the rifling with 320 to 3000 grit to complete the work.

undiUYs.jpg

Last edited:
I’m in agreement with LC here. Most of my guns have conventional crowns. I own two that are coned. One that was done by Getz barrel co. One done by me useing a lathe and four jaw chuck with a carefully ground boring tool. All my guns shoot as good as conditions and my eyesight allow. I still use a short starter as I like to use prelubed seated ball blocks and paper cartridges of powder for hunting. BJH
Coned a Rice barrel last week. Shot dead on yesterday. Love the thumb start. Great instructions Joe (Woods), wish all tools came with such nice directions. Same tool (slightly modified) fixed the no crown 44 cal Japanese wonder I rebuilt - actually shoots nicely now that I don’t have to beat the ball into the barrel with the short starter, no longer makes a hash out of the patch.

I coned a TC that had GM barrel with very tight bore, when I test fired it, I found I couldn't thumb start a ball deep enough to cut the patch at the muzzle easily, I would take a little sliver of lead off with my patch knife. As per Mr. woods instructions I tested the dept of my cone with a dry patch and ball, I found that a heavily lubed patch is much thicker than the dry patch so in actual use I needed a little deeper cone.

The rifle shot great after the coning, the two shots on the right were real, I pulled the shot in the bull. The sun was setting behind me, illuminating my rear sight and blanking out my front sight so I quit shooting. I needed to adjust the windage but with problems seeing the sights I put the final adjustments off for another day. This at 50 yards, 85gr of 2F, a dry wool wad and a .530 ball wrapped in an .017 piece of cotton drill cloth soaked with TOW mink oil.

TC coned.JPG

After shooting I got out my coning tool and ran three more pieces of 220 paper through the bore and followed up with one piece each of 320 and 400 to finish the polishing. I have the cone just right for cutting a lubed patch at the muzzle now, I don't expect any change of impact but will shoot the rifle to be sure.

100_7871.JPG

Last edited:
Short starters are not found with original bags and shooting equipment.
As in NEVER found? So that must mean ALL barrels were coned? I'm just saying what is NOT found is not proof of methods. Maybe, probably they used patch/ball that would have been using not as tight fitting than we have as today's standard. And why is it that most new rifles today are not coned? Why would makers today do ish their guns with no cone? Don't they know how those originals were made? I find the issue similar to a jug choke in a smooth bore.

As in NEVER found? So that must mean ALL barrels were coned? I'm just saying what is NOT found is not proof of methods. Maybe, probably they used patch/ball that would have been using not as tight fitting than we have as today's standard. And why is it that most new rifles today are not coned? Why would makers today do ish their guns with no cone? Don't they know how those originals were made? I find the issue similar to a jug choke in a smooth bore.
I've known people who collected original bags and accouterments for many years. I have collected them too. Starters don't turn up with outfits known to be original.

I believe the tight ball and patch combinations used today are largely the product of the gamesmanship at Friendship and other places since muzzleloadings revival in the late 1920's. When old rifles are found with original molds the balls they cast are not as tight as those used today.

Was coning done in the old days? I don't believe so. It wasn't needed to load the patch and ball combinations used back then.

Coning is used today to allow shooters the ability to load tight fitting ball and patch combinations without the use of a starter. FWIW I have yet to hear of or see an original coning tool used in the old days.

The round ball was made obsolete for target work in the 1830's with the advent of patched bullets at which it was known a choked bore was best for the most accurate shooting.

Back