• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Convert RH flint barrel to LH

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Morrison

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Could a right hand flint lock barrel be safely converted to left hand by removing the vent liner and fitting a screw to the hole and installing the vent liner in the left hand side of the barrel?
Thanks. Shoot safely.

While it could be done, I'd cut the barrel off in front of the liner and rebreach it or buy a new barrel.

FWIW, My Pedersoli LePage is set up pretty much the way you describe (Nock breech). Right side has the usual slotted vent liner, left side has an identical tapped hole with a threaded and slotted plug. The vent liner and plug can be interchanged. Have to be careful when cleaning to make sure I don't mix 'em up.

Why bother? I built my Dad a couple of lefty flinters and I shoot them (right handed) all the time. Conversely, he shoots my right handed rifles (left handed) better than I do. If the rifle has any value as-is, I would just shoot it.

D

Sure plugging the existing vent and drilling a new one on the opposite side of the barrel can be done.

Bakeoven Bill mentioned that this was the way a Nock Patent breech was made and it is also one of the methods that was used for "coning" the inside of the touch hole on barrels that did not have "vent liners".

If you decide to do this, make sure the inside end of the plug is flush with the bore, not recessed or sticking out into the bore.

Latest posts

Back