• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Copper Sulfate Horn Dye's?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Moderator Emeritus In Remembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
My son bought me a horn kit for Christmas and I'm busy messing around with it to see what I can do.

In my readings on the web about horn making, I was looking for ideas about dyeing it.

A site set up by someone named Mad Monk mentions using several different copper based dyes as being a "traditional" method of dyeing a powder horn.

(I don't know if this is the real "Mad Monk" of blackpowder fame or not. I suspect it is someone else.)

Anyway, as some of you know, some bugs love to gnaw on animal parts like horns and using a copper dye ends up making the horn so unpalatable that even a starving bug will pass on it.

The most commonly available copper compound that was used copper sulfate which is sold at hardware stores to keep roots out of sewer systems.

The reason for my post here is, have any of you folks used copper sulfate to stain your horns and if so, how well did it stain the horn and what color did it end up being?

Here's a link to the article
http://shoot7.tripod.com/madmonk.html

Last edited by a moderator:
never used it on horns, but have used it in my pond for 30 years to kill algae. I can't imagine what color it would turn it. it is blue and when dissolved is a very concentrated blue color and turns you hands blue.

As far as I know, Copper sulfate will give a greenish cast to the horn and was used to discourage horn-boring beetles due to its toxic properties.

Jim,
I have tried it years ago and remember that it DOES turn SOME horns with a green tint or color. Maybe I wasn't using it right, but I have heard similar comments from other Horners over the years. JMHO

Rick

Wonder what became of the original Mad Monk. He sure knew a thing or two about the composition of black powder.
Zonie, if you go with the copper, please post photos of your finished horn. Heck, post photos no matter what stain you use.

:grin:

I'd bet potassium dichromate would do the trick. It gives an aged color to wood. It can be had on ebay for not very much.

I have some and use it on wood, but carefully and with common sense. It is considered a carcinogen, but so have been many other things I've used or been exposed to in life. So, I think with reasonable precautions it can be used without ill effect. Even if used carelessly there is no guarantee it will actually cause cancer in any given person.

Copper sulfate is not consider carcinogenic but it is toxic in fairly small doses.

The Mad Monk is still around. He posts regularly on another Forum.

He prepared a book on wood stains and metal finishes. In his career he pursued a lot of chemical processes. He is most likely the Mad Monk that described the Copper Sulfate horn dying. The blue of copper sulfate and a horn with a bit of yellow tinge will produce a blue-green color.

In my nosing around on the net, I found this video.

A very talented artist shows how she works with stippling with a pointed tool to produce shading.

She's not working on a powder horn but I think you will enjoy watching. :)

https://youtu.be/U37xMFUSWsY

After opening it in another tab or window, don't forget to enlarge the picture to full screen size to see the detail.

I don't know why I said "she" instead of "he".

Maybe my mind was on the subject of his work in the video instead of who was doing the work. :rotf:

Just looks like a pointed tool, not a machine. If it's a little mini-jack hammer, it oughta be a cinch... why don't you get one Rick, and show us how easy it is. Oh, wait... it's easier to be a cynic.

I soaked mine in coffee or tea for a week to stain the horn. I got a nice discoloration.

bt

Latest posts

Back