• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

correct powder load for .54 GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A friend shoots 60 grains of FF for hunting and he's done fine for 20 some years. He hunts in a woods and the fartherist shot he has ever had is 35 yards. He's taken a lot of deer at the distance with that load. He says the woods is so thick he can't see any farther than that anyhow.

I also use Dutch's system and shoot a .54 GPR and unfortanately pillow ticking just doesn't work in my gun. I shoot "drill" which is pants pocket material around .013 with a .530 round ball and they go down tight. Hard to start but then they go down with some pressure. I shoot two in a hole at 50yards.

A blown patch can be too thin(not in your case); too much burn through (the lube is not doing it's job); or too much fabric around the ball. The patch should only end up to be just past the equator of the ball. If it is up to the sprue, if the sprue is facing up, your patch is too big.

Bees wax and crisco is just fine. I don't like the windshield wash because those chemical formulations are always chaning from bottle to bottle.

Back