• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Coup de Grace

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The base of the skull where the spine enters is the most lethal spot. An ice pick pushed into (ask the Gambinos) that spot instantly shuts down the heart/respiration. I usually take a pistol and have on occasion used it on deer down and out but still breathing. I can't stand to see any animal suffer.

I've seen dangerous game finished with a shot between the shoulder blades, and I have finished a deer the same way, it severs the spine and if you angle the shot correctly it goes through the heart before it exits. This is an option if you want to preserve the head, otherwise, as in the case of a doe or small buck I will put the finishing shot at the base of the skull severing the spine. I've seen a person get hurt trying to finish with a knife.

If that concerned to kill quickly shoot him in the head and by some pig brains at the meat store.

I have always preferred a knife to the throat. I am just getting into the habit of carrying a hawk with me while hunting so I might try that to the back of the head,neck if I have to finish one off. I think it would be pretty humane and more historically correct than wasting precious powder and lead.

Wait... deer don't just die off immediately after you shoot it then track it for 60-70 yards(never 59, never 71 yards)? I musta been confused before because I never knew everything went exactly perfect and the way you planned in the woods. :idunno: This deer of course was shot by a perfect, perfectly sized patched round ball backed by 82 grains of powder(80 shot 1/32" group worse).

Sorry, I just had to say it because sometimes I feel that some people around here act like this and have a mentality of perfection. (A.K.A. their stuff don't stink) My way of thinking about the outdoors and hunting & fishing in general is S*** happens. At least it does for some of us :wink:. I've had to shoot multiple shots into a deer after an initial shot and I'm not afraid to say it. To get back on the topic of putting down a wounded deer, why is your gun that you shot the deer with in the first place not loaded or being loaded?

BTW, this wasn't aimed specifically at anyone participating in the topic.

Forget the Navy Colt. Forget head shots. Save the knife for skinning. Shoot heart and lungs with your rifle.

A revolver takes practice to master. Add excitement and fatigue what accuracy you had is likely to go out the window and besides it's ballisticly puny. If you must carry it carry it for protection.

Besides being a messy shot, the brain is relatively a small target compared to the double lung-heart shot. Imagine the nightmare of tracking a wounded deer, finding it bedded down at a distance, trying for the head shot especially with a pistol and blowing it's nose or bottom jaw off and then never recovering it. Talk about suffering!

The knife may be good for just about dead but with a pulse if you want to drain the blood. It's very hard to tell if they are in that state or for lack of a better term "playing possum". Do you really want to wrassle with a wounded animal that weighs between 80 to 200lbs with a hunting knife.

The sure fired guaranteed kill and end of suffering is the heart and lungs with your heaviest weapon, your rifle.

Gentlemen,

The more I hear, the more I lean towards the 'Shoot 'im again boys' camp. I have no real desire to get in a wrestling match with a wounded deer (a 70 lb injured dog was bad enough.) However, I am still somewhat undecided about whether a followup shot should be at the base of the spine or in the boiler room.

Regards,
Loki

Actually never encountered the problem with deer (probably because I so rarely hunt deer :hmm: ) but have with small game. For squirrels you can hold their head and body, then quickly pull the head up and away from the spine severing the spinal cord. I'm just guessing that this technique won't work on deer. :wink:

I'd go with the shoot it again in the heart-lungs idea I think.

Loki said:
I have no real desire to get in a wrestling match with a wounded deer

:grin:
I love the aspect of human nature where folks over-exaggerate / over-generalize things...

Reality is it tends to come across as demeaning / belittling others experiences.
You asked for alternatives, some who know how to use a hunting knife and had the opportunity to use it shared those alternatives with you.

Choose whatever you like, but don't ridicule others who responded to your request for help just because you don't happen to have the experience in dealing with hunting knives and animals like that.

:v

I use a knife. Approach from behind the head and grab an ear, muzzle or antler. Stab the knife behind the windpipe with cutting edge outward and cut through the windpipe and major vessels. Don't try cutting the other way as the hair dulls the knife quickly.

Over the years I've had to finish two deer with ml and both times shot them with the same rifle at the base of the skull. It's instant death and no meat damage. Not a favorite of the taxidermists though! :haha:

The nicest buck I ever killed was with a modern rifle and while it went down it was working hard to get back up. Did the head shot at about 75 yards and cracked the skull between the two antlers. :shocked2:

Have also done the knife thing and really have not ever had a problem with it. It is down and dirty so if your squeamish it may not be your cup of tea!

THATS DANGEROUS! I knew a guy one time who almost got gutted himself by trying that on a partially paralyzed deer..would not suggest getting within range of the antlers. Instead I would load up and shoot the lungs out. Chances are at 10 yrds or closer your not gonna miss.The deer will die within minutes on a double lung shot.

roundball said:
Loki said:
I have no real desire to get in a wrestling match with a wounded deer

:grin:
I love the aspect of human nature where folks over-exaggerate / over-generalize things...

Reality is it tends to come across as demeaning / belittling others experiences.
You asked for alternatives, some who know how to use a hunting knife and had the opportunity to use it shared those alternatives with you.

Choose whatever you like, but don't ridicule others who responded to your request for help just because you don't happen to have the experience in dealing with hunting knives and animals like that.

Amen:hatsoff:

B.

S.kenton said:
THATS DANGEROUS! I knew a guy one time who almost got gutted himself by trying that on a partially paralyzed deer..would not suggest getting within range of the antlers. Instead I would load up and shoot the lungs out. Chances are at 10 yrds or closer your not gonna miss.The deer will die within minutes on a double lung shot.

If YOU choose to wrestle with partially paralyzed animals or take stupid chances, I suppose YOU could hurt YOURSELF, so my advice is YOU should guard against taking stupid chances.

Personally, I don't take stupid chances with wounded animals.

S.kenton said:

Your correct, hundreds have broke legs in the woods too, some have had automobile accidents on the way to the woods and some bless m' have shot them selves in the foot.
Maybe we should be saved from ourselves before somebody thinks for themselves in a particula situation and makes the wrong call :hatsoff:

B :wink:

Well I'll tell ya what... would you want your 14 yrd old kid thinking that that's a good idea? REALLY? Mine read this post and asked me if He should do that if he is ever in that situation. I answered him with a stern NO. Not safe in anyway shape nor form.. I don't ADVISE it.. ever!
WHY would you chance it.. when ALL you really need to do is put a bullet in the boiler room??

S.kenton said:
I teach a hunters ed/ safety class for the state of Ohio.. it's possible I am overreacting and pretending I am talking to a group of kids.. :grin:

That makes things different for you than for me then, you have to cater for many types of minds in your class. I only have to way up my own safety in each and every scenario.

So God bless.

You know what though, I'm more scared cutting logs every spring with a chain saw than any wounded deer.

B.

S.kenton said:
Well I'll tell ya what... would you want your 14 yrd old kid thinking that that's a good idea? REALLY? Mine read this post and asked me if He should do that if he is ever in that situation. I answered him with a stern NO. Not safe in anyway shape nor form.. I don't ADVISE it.. ever!
WHY would you chance it.. when ALL you really need to do is put a bullet in the boiler room??

Once again, another case of total over-reaction / generalizing...now expanding the scope of the discussion to let us all know that you teach hunter safety and worrying about 14 year olds, etc.
=================================================
This is what I said:
I hit him high under the spine, paralyzed his legs and he went down laying on his side...but was still alive and trying to lift his head, didn't want to shoot again, etc.
I always carry a very sharp 5" belt knife when deer hunting, so I quietly stepped up just behind him with the knife in hand, blade pointing down and facing away from me, put all 215 pounds on the right side main antler beam that was down on the ground, and in one quick motion bent over, plunged the knife down through/behind his jugular & windpipe, and slashed it up/out/away slicing through them both

=================================================
If you don't have the years of experience to properly read such a situation, and don't have the size, strength, presence of mind to execute that...then I agree with you on one thing...YOU definitely have no business even thinking about it.
Your main error is assuming everyone is where you are in life regarding those traits I mentioned...instead of having 50+ years of experience around animals like that...and your second error is that you weren't there, don't know what you're talking about, just generalizing theory.

I'll do it again tomorrow under those same circumstances without hesitation.

Latest posts

Back