• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Coup de Grace

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grew up on a farm. We raised Hamp/duroc hogs, Holstein and black angus calves.I still raise cattle for an extra income. So NO I ain't no tenderfoot when it comes to a farming lifestyle,.. slicing the throat of a pig and calf is totally different thendoing the same of a scared, partially paralyzed, mature White tail Deer. One of the big things is..I hunt probably 3 miles from nowhere.IF i took a chance like your suggesting is "safe" and it turned out bad, it's gonna take me a while to get back to my truck. Precious time that I may or may not have.I have hunted ever since I was 8 yrs old (over 30 yrs) Yes, I was always taught to never get within striking distance of a mature deers hooves or antlers, only after I was SURE it was dead by poking it with a stick and watching for breathing, would I then approach and start the field dressing process. SO, what your saying goes against everything I was taught.. and still teach to this day.I apologize if I keep safety in mind when I hunt. FYI.. know what the most Dangerous animal In North America is? and Why? it's obvious you don't or you may give a second thought to approaching a hurt live Deer..http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2490369/the_most_dangerous_animal_in_north.html?cat=53
There are many more articles like this..anyhow.It has been a lively conversation and in a way even fun.and It's obvious I'm not gonna be able to change your mind, your never gonna change mine.. so I will agree to disagree.. :surrender:
:v be safe this Hunting season!

This topic got me thinking of my first deer kill. I was in 7th grade. The buck was running and I missed my first shot. My second shot hit the buck a bit high, breaking it's spine. It went down and I ran up to it. It's head was thrashing about. I waited for the right moment and shot it in the neck at the base of the skull, killing it.

Since I had fired 3 shots my Dad thought I was shooting squirrels and came to give me hell about the noise. He had to get his knife out then. :grin: GW

Well one thing is clear from all this. We all got our own way's and thats just fine for me.

R-ball is correct when he say's about weighing each situation up and so on.

I'm just glad we are still doing it fellers :hatsoff:

Shoot straight :thumbsup:

Brits.

I prefer the knife...a 6" VERY sharp belt knife. I immobilize the head and cut either carotid artery. Animal is gone in about 4 seconds.

Animal will die SLOWLY if only windpipe/jugular vein are severed....often drowning in blood.

Just want to say few wirds to back up you brother and the knife method and any other method mentioned to finish the game.

If you're on the intersection and have "5 blinking seconds" left to cross, it is your choice and decision to cross or not. You may or may not make it on the other side, but it was Your decision. So.... If someone is choosing a knife to finish off the animal, it's his or hers choice. And it is up the him/her to judge if the situation is dangerous, necessary, etc. If this intersection is large and lot of traffic from all sights.... May want to wait. But... If the only thing on the road is a kid on a bike...your chances are better, correct? Gotta picture I hope.
And to Everybody who disagree with the right of choice- you ain't so American no-more- Constitution gives Freedom, so we do what we wish, right? So back the fxx off and let people enjoy the beauty of hunting in whatever form and whatever game (chipmunk too) they choose.

Thank you,
Michal Of Connecticut

:grin:
Those kind of people don't bother me...I've accumulated my own experiences and refined how I hunt over a lifetime of actual hunting...not just gun writer magazine articles and keyboard theory...and I'll keep doing what I know works for me under various conditions as they come up.
:grin:

I would think in today's politically correct environment that topics such as final dispatch would be kept in a private forum to keep any antis from obtaining fuel for the fire :2

Back