• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Crisco

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EDP1

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Would it hurt to use a patch lubed with crisco for every shot.I have used bore butter for every patch with no ill effects.

i have used crisco as a patch lube on many occasions. it works well, don't prelube a lot of patchs though.it will turn rancid and stink to high heaven

EDP1 said:
Would it hurt to use a patch lubed with crisco for every shot.I have used bore butter for every patch with no ill effects.

If I didn't already have a religious faith I would probably start the 'Church of Anti-Crisco'. :haha:
Really, I think it is the worstest, awfullest stuff possible for patch lube. (or pistol grease)
Take that back, chicken fat is far and away the worstest. DAMHIK :redface: .
Crisco is too soft in hot weather and too hard in cold. It, in my experience, lubes nothing, burns and stinks.
I hate it with a passion. :cursing:
Lots of other, and much-much better options out there.
Yes, answer is it would hurt because I would be throwing rotten eggs and tomatos at you. :wink:

Ditto, and that's as a former Crisco lube user. Don't mean to pry but why don't you want to use bore butter?

I've never used crisco.I've heard Olive oil works well. However I used T/C Bore Butter, I liked it. Until a friend of mine showed me a spray lube he concocted. I use that now.Makes it nicer swabbing between shots.. less mess.It's more of a bore cleaner/ patch lube.It's simple to make: 1 part amonia, 1 part Isopropyl rubbing alcohol, 1 part murphys oil soap. You can pre-lube your patches and store them in a sealed bag( they do tend to dry out over time), or spray the patches on the go.
Just thought I'd throw that out there. :v

When I used Crisco my patches burned through unless I had some Beeswax in the mix. Plus it seemed like the crisco caused the patches to rot if I left them lubed too long. So I only lubed a few with the Crisco/beeswax mix at a time. It sort of acted like a fire accelerant without the beeswax.

Bob

Back in the 'ol days (1970's) the first thing you did when you ran home with your new muzzleloader was to grab the Crisco and lube the (pre cut) patches. It was also the fall back when the Hodgdon "Spit Lube" or Blue & Gray lube ran out.

It's not the best, but not the worst. The rancid problem is one, but the overall mess was my primary complaint. Crisco gets everywhere.

I still use a lube of equal parts Crisco, beeswax and tallow that I melt and spin my shotgun wads in. They are dry & waxy to touch but squeezing them beads the oil out to squeege the bore.

Crisco has been used for a long time. Must people who try it use to much and quickly give it up. Mixed with beeswax (80%crisco 20%beeswax ) has been used for years by many locally with good results.Yes, it will go rancid if left exposed to heat. :idunno:

I have a lube made up of lard/beeswax/olive oil that is not too soft in the summer (will not run) or too hard in the fall. I made a nice big tub of it last August and it has been used as both a bullet lube and patch lube. Just not sure that I can duplicate it when the need finally arises :idunno:

If you put a few drops of wintergreen oil in your Crisco and add yellow food color ---- Wait a minute I think you just made bore butter!! Stiff in winter runny in summer. Yup I think that's just what you did. I use buttery Crisco, smells like cooking popcorn. Gotta leave I'm hungry.

Rifleman1776 said:
EDP1 said:

If I didn't already have a religious faith I would probably start the 'Church of Anti-Crisco'. :haha:
Really, I think it is the worstest, awfullest stuff possible for patch lube. (or pistol grease)
Take that back, chicken fat is far and away the worstest. DAMHIK :redface: .
Crisco is too soft in hot weather and too hard in cold. It, in my experience, lubes nothing, burns and stinks.
I hate it with a passion. :cursing:
Lots of other, and much-much better options out there.
Yes, answer is it would hurt because I would be throwing rotten eggs and tomatos at you. :wink:

What he said.

I got acceptable results from crisco.

Only problem was the mess. I dipped the patches into melted crisco and when I used them my fingers got very greasy.

I started out using bore butter and then went to crisco. I thought both were a mess. I then went to Ballistol/water and then to stumpys moose juice. Both were decent but I still prefer a greasy patch lube so I have been using stumpys moose snot for a few months now and I like it. It is still a bit on the messy side but not nearly as bad as crisco and bore butter.

Nuthin wrong with crisco.
Especially in a cool climate like here.
A can stays good for a year in a kitchen cuppord
and even outside on a summer day hardly softens.
People been using it for years.

I just tried Crisco again two days ago, mostly because I have a small tin of it in my range box for use with C&B revolvers. The particular rifle I was using had been giving me fits with the development of a "crud ring" right around the seated ball when using my beloved TOW Mink Oil Grease. It was much the same as I expect when using Pyrodex, but this was with Goex 2f.

Last cleaning I had really gone to work on the bore using brake pad cleaner just to make sure it wasn't harboring some residue from previous sessions. That may be the explanation, because it no longer formed a crud ring with the mink oil grease. I fired a dozen shots with no crud ring, though in the previous shooting session I was getting it after 3 shots.

Thoroughly cleaned the bore again right there including brake pad cleaner, and tried my homebrew of 2:1 deer tallow:eek:live oil. Same results.

Cleaned the bore again and went to crisco. Didn't get a "crud ring" after the dozen shots, but I was getting more of a crud coating on most of the bore. Seating difficulty was going up and up to the point I swabbed the bore with a spit patch after 6 shots, and that didn't help much. The fouling seemed resistant to spit patch an seating was still difficult. By the end of the 12 shot string I thought I was going to have to use a bore brush to get the hardened fouling out.

Not sure what was going on, but I didn't have any inclination to go any further with it. Maybe the Crisco was "cooking" the fouling? Deep fried fouling anyone? :rotf:

Back