• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Bobcat .50

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The way I understand it; at the end of the season the guns that aren't sold at the clearance price are returned to a central warehouse or something, and the following year they are redistributed to the stores where they sold the previous year. I got the last one in stack two years in a row now. :winking: Maybe next year' I'll get another one.

The one I bought last year has a tube steel ramrod and this years version has a fiberglass one, so I spent another $8 or $9 and picked up another tube steel ramrod when I bought the gun.

The one I bought last year shot fine and was well worth the price. I was thinking about making a smoothrifle out of this one. Incidentally, although Wal-mart is inevetibly going to run out of Bobcats, our local Kmart has a traditions deerhunter percussion for $109.99. The breech is different on the traditions gun, but I think they are made at the same factory as the Bobcat.

I think I can answer a few of the questions floating around.

I have 3 Bobcats, 2 50's and a 54. CVA stopped importing the sidelocks a year or so ago. They sold all their old stock and parts to Deer Creek which I think is in Ill. The 54 I have came from them. They had pallets full of them when I got it last year. Do ask them to inspect the gun before shipping if you get one from them, the first one they sent me was made in the late 80's and the bore was rusted to the point of looking like hair growing in there. They did make it right and sent me a newer barrel. There is also a wood stocked version but the price is a bit higher.

The serial number on the barrel will indicate the year of manufacture. The last 2 digits are the year and are usually separated from the preceeding numbers. The 36 cal version as mentioned has the smaller barrel width so it is probably better to just buy the whole gun. With the 54 I have, it was only $10 to $15 dollars more to buy the whole gun rather than just the barrel.

These guns are stronger than you would think for the money they cost. One of the 50's that I have I bought for $35 and had intended to use it for a test to destruction gun. I wanted to verify for myself how safe the Bobcat was. To put a long story short, I still have the gun and use it for a fun plinker. It survived testing that many thought would surely have destroyed it, all without any damage that could be measured.

Sure its cheap and not well appointed, but it makes a nice starter gun for kids to learn on without breaking the bank and it helps get some folks into the ML'er sports that could not afford to otherwise.

Hi, Where did you get thet musket cap nipple?. I would like to replace my nipple also. I have a couple thousand musket caps. I like them also on longarms. Thanks.

About anywhere that sells black powder supplies will have musket nipples to fit various thread sizes. I've seen them at Dixie and Track of the Wolf both.

Ive got a 36 bobcat wood stock.Took all the bluing off every thing and put a rib with ramrod thimbles off a cva hawkins on it..Also have a 50 bobcat that i bought new just for the barrel.The 36 is my favorite muzzleloader.The 50 will shoot every bit as good as my 54 gpr at 50 yards with 100 gr loads and rbs.Both these barrels have been made to fit the hawkins also.I dont like the trigger on the hawkins though.So i ended up putting the barrels back on the bobcat :youcrazy:

I found it necessary to use long sleeved shirts or a gauntlet cuffed glove when shooting musket caps. When I changed from Pyrodox to real black powder I found I didn't need the extra spark. :winking:

I have never used a musket cap on any gun and have never used any hot shot niples cause i havnt had any problems with the original no.11 niples.Although i may have to rethink that when i seen the recent price of a tin of caps at walmart the other day.Six dollars and some odd cents :shocked2: Be a cold day in hell when i pay 6 dollars for a tin of caps :haha:

David said:
I think I can answer a few of the questions floating around.

I have 3 Bobcats, 2 50's and a 54. CVA stopped importing the sidelocks a year or so ago. They sold all their old stock and parts to Deer Creek which I think is in Ill. The 54 I have came from them. They had pallets full of them when I got it last year. Do ask them to inspect the gun before shipping if you get one from them, the first one they sent me was made in the late 80's and the bore was rusted to the point of looking like hair growing in there. They did make it right and sent me a newer barrel. There is also a wood stocked version but the price is a bit higher.

The serial number on the barrel will indicate the year of manufacture. The last 2 digits are the year and are usually separated from the preceeding numbers. The 36 cal version as mentioned has the smaller barrel width so it is probably better to just buy the whole gun. With the 54 I have, it was only $10 to $15 dollars more to buy the whole gun rather than just the barrel.

These guns are stronger than you would think for the money they cost. One of the 50's that I have I bought for $35 and had intended to use it for a test to destruction gun. I wanted to verify for myself how safe the Bobcat was. To put a long story short, I still have the gun and use it for a fun plinker. It survived testing that many thought would surely have destroyed it, all without any damage that could be measured.

Sure its cheap and not well appointed, but it makes a nice starter gun for kids to learn on without breaking the bank and it helps get some folks into the ML'er sports that could not afford to otherwise.
Does Deer Creek have a website? I can't seem to find them.

They didn't last year when I purchased the 54. You should be able to find the phone number online or you could call CVA and they should have it. I found this information online,

Deer Creek Products
6989 E Michigan Rd
Waldron, IN 46182
Phone: (765) 525-6181

I think it is the correct one but I'm not for sure.

I'm aware of the deer creek, and I think October Country also bought up all the discontinued bobcats from CVA that they could get their greedy little hands on. At that time, you and I also could call the CVA factory and get one for 50$. Anyway, October Country and Deer Creek bought them all and jacked the price to like 100 each. As a result, I won't do business with either one of them. I think October Country was also at one time really ripping people off on CVA derringers and Kentucky Pistols (also closed out).

I was in a gun shop last Friday and thye had a used .50 Bobcat with wood stock, pretty good condition for $117. Was not sure if that was a good deal or not. What is you alls opinion?

Think how much it'd cost you to get a decent stock blank, and add that to the $60 Wal-Mart is gettin' for the Bobcats. The local store has one, and I might buy it for a parts piece. Then I'd have a second barrel for the underhammer. :hmm:

Back