• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cva bobcat?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck-ia

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Can a person still buy cva sidelocks? I have a friend who is interested in buying a cheap muzzleloader, the bobcat comes to mind. Can these still be bought new? thanks flinch

There are a few left at some WalMarts around the US. Some online vendors have them too. I have one in my closet!

Got one for $54 at Wallyworld a couple of months ago missed one in Concord they had for $45. The gun is worth way more even though it has the crappy stock and all.

I am sorry to say that there are none around here unless a "trade-in" shows up at one of the shops. And generally the dealers won't even allow $25 or $30 on a Bobcat. It's a shame really. They are much more gun that the sum of the parts. Despite that synthetic stock (some of them did have wooden stocks though...), weight can be added to to suit the owner.

I think we are now beginning to see how CVA dropping production of all their sidelocks is going to affect the entry level muzzleloader. It (muzzleloading) just can't get more simpler (or cheaper) than a Bobcat. And I don't mean "cheap" in a bad connotation. Inexpensive is a better term.

I will look around and see if I can locate one, and hopefully you will find one before muzzleloading season is upon us.

Good Luck on your Search, and shoot safely!
WV_Hillbilly

IM thinking of buying one of these also. Anybody know if wood stocks are around cheap for them?
I hate that plastic stock on them.

Cherokee said:
IM thinking of buying one of these also. Anybody know if wood stocks are around cheap for them?
I hate that plastic stock on them.

Sometimes there are parts available on the various auction sites... or you may come across one that was "parted out" at a gun show or gun shop. You could buy a low cost stock blank and give yourself a crash course on stock inletting and carving, if nothing else seems to show up. You never know, you might like making your own stock...?

I prefer wood to plastic anyday on a muzzleloader, but I must admit that the synthetic stocks have a "springy-ness" to them that can really absorb the recoil in some instances. I guess the engineer who designs them could explain all the details as to how it does this "miracle", but I'll still take wood first--even if I'm going to feel the recoil a little more.

Don't let anyone try to fool you either.... A 6lb .50caliber muzzleloader with 175gr .490 diameter round ball and 80-100gr of FFg, WILL make you take notice when you snap that hammer. I personally think a .50cal rifle should weigh at least 7 1/2 lbs or more, and be fairly well-balanced.

Again, if I hear of any I will snag one for you.
WV_Hillbilly

Thanks WV.
IM not up for making a stock or anymore inletting. I have a Track Of the Wolf rifle now I have been working on and I cant believe how much work its taken.

What caliber is needed?

I have a pair of early (70's) CVA Squirrels in 32 and 36 with wood stocks that are much nicer than any of the Bobcats, even the early ones. I don't use the 32 (use a Cherokee), but they really are a pretty good rig for the money. Early Squirrels can be found with some looking, but do command a steeper price than Bobcats. I think I paid 160 for the 32 used, and 300 for the 36 LNIB a few years ago.

CVA did have a fair stock of parts on hand even for the early Squirrels, so they may also have wood stocks available for Bobcats. Might be worth a call.

Not sure if contact info can be posted here, but an easy Google (etc) search will bring up their web site. They are very poor at answering email, but Danny at BPI customer service is petty sharp FWIW.

Walks Alone

Buffalo bills shooting store in orlando fl. has CVA 50 cal with wood stock for 120 bucks.

Well, turns out his girl friend gave him some money for his birthday, so he ordered a lyman deerstalker flintlock, from Midsouth Shooters supply. thanks, flinch

The shop thats going to close here in a week or so has 2 CVAs a shotgun for 150 and Stalker rifle for 100, they have had the same price for 10 yrs(maybe why they still have them) Let me ck on any more get right back with ya.Ok called Deer Creek they have a few Hawken and Mountain hunter or rifle I didnt ask which sorry 1st is 189 the 2nd is 395 or 239 depending what it was they got. And I was just told that 150 for that shot gun is way cheap ... is it? fred

I seem to remember the retail price on a CVA shotgun being $229 for a long time... the only problem is that I don't remember the exact model name/number and what range of years it was produced???

I suppose $150 is a decent price, though I will tell you-- I got a Traditions BuckHunter Pro about 4 years ago for $89... now that's one of those In*ine designs and I have since gotten rid of it, but it was cheap and worked rather well.

I am assuming that this CVA shotgun is a sidelock gun? It's cheap only if you want one badly enough. I'd rather catch a Renegade .56cal smoothbore for around $125 on one of the various sites and have a much better though smaller gauge gun. The .56 is roughly a 28 gauge, and other than that is built exactly like a Renegade Rifle. It does make a real nice shooter!

Biggest problem I can see is that the CVA shotgun is too light weight for the bore size gun it is. I wouldn't want to be shooting 90gr of FFg and 1 1/4 oz of shot in a 5 1/2lb gun!

Regards, and good luck, whatever you decide,
WV_Hillbilly

Thanks for your help, he ordered a deer stalker, should be here in a few days. flinch

The Lyman deerstalker is a better rifle then the Bobcat I'm sure, but I love the bobcat. I picked up one renamed the "mountain stalker" at a Bass proshops about 2 years ago and was surprised to find it's pretty accurate with round ball. I typically use about 80 or 90 grains ffg in it, and I think that's plenty for close range deer (50 to 75 yards).

The Bobcat is an awesome buy for about 60$. They're close to disposable for that price. I picked up two more for 50$ each, but one turned out to be a CVA "sharpshooter." Essentially a bobcat with a nicer stock and better sights. I didn't complain about the mistake...

Anyway, October country has a bunch, but they ticked me off and I won't do business with them. They bought all the remaining bobcats from CVA at 50bux each and jerked the price up to 80 bux each. Before they did that you or I could also get them direct from CVA on closeout at 50 bucks each.

I wish I had about 20 bobcats. If the world wacks out (Mad Max, Road warrior situation) they may be quite handy for supplying local friends and family. Make no mistake, a bp rifle is deadly in hands that know what they're doing.

A small article was in backwoodsman magazine (which I HIGHLY reccommend, its one of the only mags I subscribe to) praising the bobcat.

I also read some postings on Internet newsgroups regarding solving the weight problem. One guy took the buttplate off the rifle, and filled the hollow stock with sand. Interesting idea. Would probably add that couple pounds most people would prefer to get the weight up to 8 lbs or so.

I've been looking for one also. I have four revolvers and thought I would ease into the rifle world. I checked about eight different Walmarts. Found one in Cary, NC for $54. It had rust on the barrel it had been setting there for so long. I loaded the stock with 1.5 lbs of lead which gave it a nice balance and feel.

Hangfire, I felt the same way because everyone said it needed to be heavier but shooting roundball out of it I find the extra muzzle weight to help keep it on target. I also like how light it is stock. So sad to see a traditional company like CVA Loose it's compass.

I am going to make a wood stock for mine out of an old parts gun when I find the right one.

i started ML hunting with the CVA Bobcat. What A Piece of :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:
I'd be embarrassed to tell you how many deer I've missed because it wouldn't fire.

It would not fire on the first shot! It always misfired. No Matter how clean I got it. I had to put powder under the nipple to get it to fire.
I didn't like doing that because I was afraid the hammer would blow back in my face. And the gun wouldn't stay in the half-cock position.

One day I put the gun down to adjust myself. And it Went Off. Good Thing it mis-fire because I could have easily had my head blown off.
Well, needless to say the gun had a fight with a hacksaw, vise, and hammer, and Lost!!!

Tell your friend to spend a few dollars more and get something better.

-fallingcrows

CVA still offers them on their website.
[url] www.cva.com/products/sidelocks_bobcat.htm[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back