• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Frontier Arrived Today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SavageArcher

40 Cal.
Reaction score
UPS finally showed up today. Guns was a little rougher than I thought but it was expected. The seller said it was a friends and may never have been fired well the bore looked very clean and unpitted ran a patch down to check and ran up with some oily crud that didn't smell like burnt powder or solvent. Went ahead and gave it the old hot water and soap treatment. There was no residue of powder on or around the nipple. So if it had been shot it was few times and well cleaned.

The barrel had a nice brown patina color to it but removed from the stock it obvious that it was orginally blued. The wedge pin holding the barrel to the stock was loose enough to fall out so I replaced that. The buttplate hung about 3/8th inchs below the toe of the stock, fixed that in 5 minutes with a file and wirewheel. Set triggers had to be tinkered with till they suited me hair trigger is still abit light though.

The CVA designers must have been small framed people with little hands, thats my comment on the fit but its livable for now. Overall I like the gun.

Had just enough daylight to try a few shots. Used Pyrodex RS frist time had a hangfire but it seems to happen everytime after I clean a gun. Nice have a clean out screw that wasn't frozen shut. Poured a little 3f Pyro P and it lit up like a cannon on the next cap. Reminder to get some GOEX 3f. Thought I had a dry fire again later but I dry balled one. Again that clean out screw is handy. A little pyro P and puff out comes the ball.

Didn't have time to set up a proper target but I got to check out the patchs, perfect I could have used them again and these were same cheap flannel ones that my Investarms would mangle and char.

Just a quick summary so far, Hope to have plenty of target time after tommorow. Got some good pillow ticking and plenty of round balls. I'll try and keep yall posted.

Yeh you will not believe the difference once you get some Goex. In my CVA rifles it performs way better than Pyrodex ever did. I like the 3F with round balls and 2F with the conicals unless they are real light ones (300g or less).

Sounds like you found a nice rifle congrats!

:thumbsup:

Been shooting some today, things look promising. If my eyesight was better I could see the dang bullseye at 40 yards, need to get something besides those 100 yard centerfire targets.

So far the gun likes .495 Hornaday RBs pretty good, been having too much fun to set up a proper bench. Got the sights pretty close just need to drift the front one a little and raise the rear and I'll be dead on at fifty.

Only complaints I have is I wish the gun had about 15 inches of pull and an inch or so more drop in the stock. Wouldn't hurt to have a little more meat around the wraist or a differant style of trigger guard, but these are just good excuses for a stock building project.

Gotta go shoot some more. :winking:

Boonedocker said:
Had just enough daylight to try a few shots. Used Pyrodex RS frist time had a hangfire but it seems to happen everytime after I clean a gun. .

If you don't already, try running a couple of clean patches down the bore before you load for the first time. Also, pop a couple caps to clear the nipple.
My CVA Mtn Rifle does just fine with pyro but I usually use 3f. Have fun with the new toy.

Strangely, my Mountain rifle seems to love RS. In hunting conditions I prime it with my flintlock priming horn with a couple of grains of 4f under the nipple just to make sure, but so far it has never let me down. The Hawken hates the stuff. You have to prime it almost every shot even at tha trange to get good ignition.

Back