• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Hawken any good? Value?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alaskasmoker

40 Cal.
Reaction score
There is a guy up here selling a CVA Hawken, 54 cal with a pound of tripple 7, box of roundballs, box of great plains conicals, 100 caps, shortstarter and ball patches for 300.00 Gun is unfired and looks mint. Is that a good deal? seems about 25-50 dollars or so too much but I guess I dont know.

Would this be a good gun to get for general all around big game use, reliability issues, Quality components? Tweeks needed?

Thats about $150 over priced.

Triple 7 sucks when it comes to shooting round balls with patch. You'd have to use a buffer between the patch and powder to keep it from burning up.

It is OVERPRICED....I just got a T/C renegade with a .50 cal AND .54 cal barrels for under $300.
00 and I still feel that I spent $50.00 to much LOL. Look around there are ALOT of hawkens in various brands (CVA isnt necessarilly bad but probably not considered the "top of the line" either) out there for $150.00 to $225.00. Try online auctions or pawn shops, etc.

I would agree with the others. Over priced. A pawn shop that I go by weekly had a CVA Hawken and CVA pistol both in 50 Cal. They were asking $275. for both. They were in nice shape. I was back there last week and they had sold them. But they were there a long time. I don't know if they got there price but it wasn't from me.

Id like to know more about the buffer that will be required. Unfortuntetly 777 is about all we have up here, I see pioneer powder from time to time but goex is all but nonexistant.

Its about as easy to find Goex here as it is a traditional muzzleloader.

So all my traditional guns that I will be aquiring will need to be shot with substitutes.

About two years ago I purchased a CVA Hawken with 50 and 54 cal barrels(50 cal was mounted on the rifle) and I paid $75.00 at a pawn shop. First time out at my range it was shooting clover leafs at 30 yards using 45 gr of FFF. Theres not much resale value in the CVA but a good starter and makes a good second rifle when you can afford something better. Use real black powder only for better results Cheers Dry Ball

I bought one at the local gunshop this summer for $65.00, almost new condition and it shot as good or better than some of my T/C's. nice guns, acurate and reliable, but for $300.00 is WAY too much!

CVA's (that's the original CVA, not the current one) wood stocked sidelocks were generally good (not excellent) quality starter guns. A mint Hawken is valued at $335 in the Fifth Edition (2007) of the Blue Book of Modern Black Powder Arms on page 57. The value falls off rather quickly, however, to $175 at 80%. The primary consideration, of course, is the bore condition. 'Unfired' is not the same as 'mint' condition, so some reduction off the $335 value is reasonable; the book suggests $290 for a 98% condition gun.

The Hawken was discontinued by CVA in 1994. 'Unfired' CVA Hawkens are unusual finds; they could almost be considered rare. If the gun is truly unfired the 98% book valuation might be reasonable.

Blue Book prices are only a guide, of course. Prices can and do vary considerably. I suspect that the guns quoted above were not unfired or mint condition, so the prices would be expected to be lower, about the ranges mentioned (pawn shops and internet auctions don't generally deal in 10 year old guns in mint condition).

CVA guns generally bring lower prices than Thompson Center, their nearest competitor. They are reliable, good shooters and can be a good value. $300 is not a bargain price, even with the extras offered, but for a truly unfired condition gun it's not $150 overpriced either.

Without seeing the gun it's hard to say, but $225 might be a good price considering the extras.

I've been shooting both Goex and 777 for many years. I'm not aware of the need for a 'buffer', whatever that is, when using 777. It does have a higher ignition temperature and does not like to be tightly compressed, but if one takes the time to develop the load properly it will give performance equivalent to if not superior to Goex.

over priced...yep, BUT its your money and decision solely. I would gander that many of us here have paid more for some things that we shouldnt have. but thats no big deal!

I will also go out on the limb and say that a majority of us here started out with CVA's inone configuration or another. Great entry level guns that typically shoot rather well for the money.
My first wasan older cva mt rifle and the second(my sons gun) was a new unfired cva hawken with a ton of accesories to go with it for 145, blind hog finds an acorn syndrom on that one!

Good guns. only real improvement I would like to see on the hawken would be a better hammer spring!

mt rifle is in a group all its own, but the hawken we have will group tight consistantly!

If they have 777, somebody must have Pyrodex RS (closest substitute to Black Powder) or at least Pyrodex Select (next up the line from RS as a substitute). Pyrodex is made by the same company as 777. Yes it is hard to get real black powder, unless you order on-line from someone like Gaf & Sons and are there to sign for it when it comes in.

They are talking about a powder over card or wad, like in a shot gun shell. You can order them from someone like Track of the Wolf, 1000 per bag for about $7.50 ... .025 or .125 thickness.

If you get the price down and still want to buy the gun remember: Pellets don't work in sidelock rifles or pistols.
Make sure the powder is the "loose" type.

brett sr said:
over priced...yep, BUT its your money and decision solely. I would gander that many of us here have paid more for some things that we shouldnt have. but thats no big deal!

I will also go out on the limb and say that a majority of us here started out with CVA's inone configuration or another. Great entry level guns that typically shoot rather well for the money.
My first wasan older cva mt rifle and the second(my sons gun) was a new unfired cva hawken with a ton of accesories to go with it for 145, blind hog finds an acorn syndrom on that one!

Good guns. only real improvement I would like to see on the hawken would be a better hammer spring!

mt rifle is in a group all its own, but the hawken we have will group tight consistantly!

Gotta agree HERE. A)money is a relative thing...Alot to me may or may NOT be alot to you. and B) supply and demand plays...what powder IS available for example. When I got started here in Oregon I almost paid $600.00 for a USED T/C Renegade. ML hunting and BP overall isnt very big in this state and there are relatively few ML's avail for purchase on a commrecial basis. I started looking at gunbroker.com and found LOTS of ML's for $200.00 ea give or take $25.00...LOL ended up spending my $600.00 plus a smidge and wound up with three guns and 4 barrles for the same money

Last edited by a moderator:
As the others have mentioned, that price is a bit high. You can generally find a T/C for that price and end up with a better gun.

As for the 777, if you're going to shoot round ball mostly, you might do better to try and find some Pyrodex. It's generally sold anywhere that 777 is. It doesn't eat patches as badly. You can always use fiber or felt wads, or filler such as cornmeal, cream of wheat or (heaven forbid!) grits. They help protect the patch from the blast, help scrub fouling from the barrel, and in many cases, increase accuracy.

The price seems a bit high but I hear everything cost a bit more up there. Make an offer if you really like the rifle.

As far as the T7 and patched roundball goes I have not had any problems shooting it out of my rifles. I use pillow ticking bought at Walmart and natural lube and have had no patches burn up on me. Just remember to reduce loads by 15% if using T7 and clean the breech area well with a wet patch every 4-5 shots so you don't get that hard crusty "ring" that makes it hard to load.

okay found a T/c big boar in 58 caliber, like new no rust. The guy wants to do a trade. I have about 250.00 dollars into the item he wants. I called T/C and they still have some parts for this gun.

So how about that gun? worth the trade? What about parts and what not. Seems to me I could replace whatever with simular items from TOW or Dixie.

We have some pretty large game up here. So Im thinking the bigger the caliber the better. Who knows one day I might work up the courage to try to get a grizzly with it.

Now that sounds like a deal, You can't beat a T/C for quality and it's got a life time waranty :thumbsup: and if it's in good shape it's worth at least $275 and possably up to $400, plus a .58 will take down anything on U.S. soil :wink:

The trade is a done deal, he is shipping tommorow. Hes from North pole alaska and Im from anchorage, so I havent got to see the gun in person but the pictures looked good and he promises its like new and no rust.

You will like the TC. As for the 777 have some and have used it in my cap locks with no problem. How ever I use an over powder wad in all my guns, with any powder.
It just will not work in a flint lock. Which is the reason I still have a few pounds of it.
Old Charlie

Back