• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cva Kentucky hunter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc mullins

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought a used one about a year ago and am very pleased with it. I was wondering about the history on this model because I have not seen any information on the forum. So does anyone have one and are you pleased with yours?

Thanks
Doc

I am not to computer savvy so I don't know how to do it even after reading how to.
It looks similar to a Hawkins but has more drop at the heel and a cheek rest on left side.
Barrel is 33" and no patch box.

CVA Kentucky Hunter? Made by Jukar in Spain.

I believe that has a two piece fullstock with a little piece of brass between the two pieces? Single trigger? No capbox?

If you got a good one and are pleased with it, that's all that matters.

I looked for photos on the internet, but all the photos I found show a stock with no cheekpiece. I wonder if yours has been restocked? Nothing was cut and dried with those early CVA guns, though, they might have made a few with and a few without.

From the images I've found on the net regarding this model, it looks exactly like a Traditions Kentucky rifle with the two piece stock.

The CVA Kentucky Hunter was a half-stock with double set triggers, squared cheek piece, bridled lock and brass sideplate. The barrel is similar to the barrel used on the two-piece stocked Kentucky Rifle, I believe 7/8" x 33.5". Mine is a .50 and is well balanced with the slimmer barrel. Not sure very many were made or if it appeared in catalogs.

The CVA Kentucky Hunter Halfstock was introduced in 1990. It's in the '91 catalog too but not in the '99.

Great balance, comes right up on the sights and is about 1lb lighter than the Mountain Rifles.

It has two wedge keys and a button tang for barrel removal. Wedge keys in same place as MR but barrel is 7/8" across the flats. .50 cal only with 1:66 twist and 33-1/2" long.

Same lock and triggers as MR, same trigger guard as Frontier Rifle. Buttstock profile similar to CVA's Kentucky with roman nose and cheek piece.

Someday I might rebarrel mine with a Colerain or Green Mountain in forty-five caliber.

That is it, I hope to make meat with it this weekend. Thanks for the info. I was beginning to think this was someone's project.

Thanks
Doc

Bought one several years ago at an auction for less than a hundred bucks. Feels great...looks awful. One piece stock. Worst wood ever: cracked, split, chipped. 50 cal barrel, 33.5 inch, two pinned wedge keys, blade front sight, replaced rear sight nice bore. Put it away, forgot about it. Finally found it again. Lost parts. used MR rifle lock, trigger fits but won't set. Patched stock split with JB Weld. Re cut cheekpiece to resemble a traditional pennsylvania. It's pretty awful and I'm probably making it worse. If I can't fix it I have a Hawkens maple blank I'll inlet and use. Pictures? Nope. I need an 8 year old to show me how to post.

Back